Changing shadow colour with VRaySun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing shadow colour with VRaySun?

I'm just wondering if shadow colour can be controlled when using the VRaySun?

I'm hoping to achieve an effect similar to the video game 'Mirrors Edge' with the blue tinted shadows.

Is there any suggestions? I'm currently playing with the GI Environment (skylight) override, by making it a distinct blue with a high multiplier.

For that you need to adjust your indirect light, since shadow areas only contain indirect light and the occlusion of it.

I know, not easy if you are happy with how everything else looks because adjusting your sky will break the things you like in direct light areas as well.

Comment

another option would be saving shadow or direct lighting passes and doing the colour correction in post. might give much more control than trying to find the right balance directly when rendering.

Comment

Originally posted by raymarcher View Post
        For that you need to adjust your indirect light, since shadow areas only contain indirect light and the occlusion of it.

I know, not easy if you are happy with how everything else looks because adjusting your sky will break the things you like in direct light areas as well.
        Yea, that's what we have been trying, but like you say, is messes with more than just the shadows..

Originally posted by rivoli View Post
        another option would be saving shadow or direct lighting passes and doing the colour correction in post. might give much more control than trying to find the right balance directly when rendering.
        This is looking like the most promising method. It will allow us to tweak the shadows as we like.

What would be the easiest way to do this sort of thing? (I've never actually done it before.... )

Comment

say you save the shadow pass along with the render rgb output, you can then use it as a mask to apply any colour correction you need (levels, curves, channels mixing..) to adjust the shadows' tint.
          an inverted rawlighting pass can do the work as well, I guess, you can try both to find out which one will make a better mask for you.
          the practical way you do the masking and colour correction depends on the application you're using. in ps, for example, can be as simple as masking the correction levels with one of those passes.

Comment

How do I set Vray to save a shadow pass along with the RGB output? I'm using backburner and saving the individual framed for later compilation into an animation.

[edit] Ah ha, I think I found it...
            Last edited by TERRA Operative; 12-10-2009, 10:23 PM.

Comment

you can either save as vray image file (or exr), and you'll have all render elements in a single, multichannel file, or you can split the elements in different files. both options are in the frame buffer rollout.
              to save as exr instead of vray image file, simply write the extension .exr after the output's name.

Comment

i tried that but my shadowpass is aliased.... cannot get an antialiased look for any pass....

Comment

Working...
                X