transparency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transparency

just wondering where you set the transparency for a vray material. i am working on a water material. i got the reflections and color working, but can't figure out how to set the transparency of it.

sean

if you are using a vraymtl, set the reflection and refraction color to white

if using a standard material, then put a vraymtl into ur refraction slot, with refract selected and the color as white again.

i dont max in front of me right now, but i believe that is right. if not, then surely someone else can tell u easily.
    5 years and counting.

Comment

thanks.

i think i got that to work.

i can't seem to get any light to pass through it though. the scene is lit with just environment-skylight and a sunlight with vray shadows.

Comment

hi...

if it's VRAYMAT then check affect shdow is on... and there is also i property in the light object for transparent shadow so check that too

hope it helps

Regards, Bakbek
        sigpic

Comment

okay, i just did some test on this and you have to have the Generate GI Caustics box checked in the Vray Indirect Illumination rollout in the render dialog box. This is NOT the caustics tick box in the Caustics rollout, you don't need that to be activated. Also having an IOR of 1.0 helps speed things up, and you have to have the refract color set to white, as for the reflect color, you do not have to have it on (if you don't want reflections) but turning it all white will make the glass super reflective (ergo, looks like chrome). Also affect shadow in the Vray material dialog box needs to be checked also. Hope this helps.

Joel

Comment

You need to check the fresnel option too, then reflections will look right!

If you set the IOR to 1.0 you are avoinding refrations thats why you see the the decrease on render time. Usualy the IOR for water material is 1.33, you can find some more information about IOR values on VrayInfo.

http://www.vray.info/entry.asp?entryID=77

Gonçalo

Comment

On top of that you might also want to disable the GI for the water since it is completely transparent anyway(if I get you right. With muddy, non-transparent water thats a different thing). You can do this in the object properties menu in the render settings window under the "system" section. Then you won´t need to worrie about GI caustics either.

Stefan
              Stefan Kubicek
              www.keyvis.at

Comment

Working...
              X