Subdivisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subdivisions

Just a question, but if I put the subdivisions on a material (glossy/refraction glossy) or on a light (just plain ole' subdivisons) is that an absolute at render time? Versus using the adaptive DMC where it will only take what is necessary for a particular region?

peakyfreak
    ...learning more every day...

Thought this would be an easy one for someone. Nobody knows?

Comment

The subdivs for lights/materials are just maximum values; V-Ray might take less than the specified number, depending on the contribution of the result to the image.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Your render settings are the boss of specific samples on materials/lights/etc. If a rendersetting, such as adaptive threshold, isn't working hard enough to get rid of noise, not even the highest subdiv for that light will change it. Conversely (is that the right word?), if you're using good render settings and a particular material or lit area is grainy, you've probably capped your subdivs too low for that light/material.

As Vlado said, they're maximums (like reflection and refraction ray depth) rather than absolute values.

Comment

Ah...great! We were having the discussion here about using the universal settings vs. setting up certain materials to have higher subdivisions. Trying to figure out if setting it up per material could actually be detrimental to the render times if it was forcing that level of subdivision.

Thanks both for your input!

peakyfreak

Comment

Working...
          X