Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blurry reflections artifacts

Hi,

Take a look at these images. Note the black hexagon and square in the cylindrical object. They correspond with how the mesh is constructed. It's a mesh exported from rhino. I don't have problems without the blurry reflections. It also occures when using interpolation, it's only covered a bit because the interpolation blurrs it more.

Any ideas what could be the problem and how to solve it?

many thanks,

flipside

Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

I've never seen anything like that but a few things I would check are: double faces, smoothing problem or flipped normals.
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

How do I check that? My max knowledge is pretty limited...

It's not fipped normals because you would see that with any material, and I also tried double sided in the vraymtl options.

flipside
      Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

when I use 'optimize' modifier so that the mesh is being built differently, the problem is gone. But I find this not a good solution. The problem is only visible with blurry reflections.

flipside

Comment

Originally posted by flipside
          How do I check that? My max knowledge is pretty limited...

It's not fipped normals because you would see that with any material, and I also tried double sided in the vraymtl options.

flipside
          That's not neccesarily true flipped normals can act up in different ways.

All of those can be checked in the modify panel, in face, polygon or element node:

Show normals is the 4th check box this will add an icon to the faces to show their direction.

Under "surface properties" rollout you will find "smoothing groups" here you can check the groups by their ID, for your object you could try "clear all" then "auto Smooth" with a threshold of around 35

lastly select the faces in the offending area and check the count at the bottom of the :selection" rollout if there are too many I would suspect double faces.
          Eric Boer
          Dev

Comment

There is also a modifier called STL Check. Use this for testing Open Edges, Double Faces, Multiple Edges

--Jon

Comment

Here's a testscene:
              top row with some weld setting from rhino
              middle row no weld setting in rhino
              bottom row weld settings I usually use in rhino

very mild bump applied, noise:

Comment

And one with cylinder smoothing groups cleared (bump turned off):

And then autosmooth;35 on all three cylinders!:

Comment

I checked all things you suggested, nothing is wrong, stl check gives no errors.

Any other ideas? Vlado maybe?

thanks,

flipside

Comment

Try selecting a different Anisotropy axis, even if you have the amount set to 0. There was a bug in 1.09.03a that caused glossy reflections to disappear when the Z axis was active.

Maybe you need to download the new demo build.
                    Torgeir Holm | www.netronfilm.com

Comment

Ok egz that worked!

But still I would have a problem if I would want to use anisotropic reflections no? I don't know how to use them so I can't test this right now.

I think I have the latest build

Thanks for the help!

Regards,

flipside

Comment

It seemed I had the a build (altough I downloaded it just 2 weeks ago). With the new buid the problem is gone.
                        BUT it returns when I use anisotropic effect.

If I change an axis here the problem is gone on the rond object but it's just on another surface of the cube. Also I don't want to change axis because it changes the anisotropy of course.

regards,

flipside

Comment

Not sure if you allready tried this, but earlier when exporting meshes from rhino to max, I often noticed vertices that were broken. So i usually just collapsed or welded them together.

Also...( not sure if you allready know this ) exporting to .obj is much better than to .3ds, at least in my experience. You usually get cleaner meshes, and less duplicate faces \ broken vertex-connections.
                          Signing out,
                          Christian

Comment

How do you collapse or weld in max?

And also, i can't import obj files in max, I have max 4.26.

thanks for any tips,

flipside

Comment

Could you post the scene?
                              Torgeir Holm | www.netronfilm.com

Comment

Working...
                              X