Caustics - can of worms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caustics - can of worms?

Never really had much practice/success with caustics. We're doing an image of a swimming pool so I thought I'd have a go with them again and make the vray sphere lights below the water around the edge of the pool create a casutic effect through the water so that I could get some nice patterns across the ceilings and walls.

So far, I've managed to achieve a whole bunch of dots across the walls and ceilings, but not a whole lot else.

I'm likely to just fake them (as I always do!) in the end, but wondered if anyone had any pointers on what I should be doing.

The surface of the water is just a mixture of varying sized noise maps in the bump channel.
    Kind Regards,
    Richard Birket
    ----------------------------------->
    http://www.blinkimage.com

Can you post an image and your caustics settings?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I am struggling with caustics as well. I have a glass lamp with bubbles which is lit from inside with a sphere shaped vray light and the only things that's changing when i activate caustics, is the render times (through the roof). Will try and post image and settings one of these days.

I have the real version of the lamp so I know the caustics really should be amazing.
      Stefanie

https://renderkitchen.com/

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
        Can you post an image and your caustics settings?

Best regards,
        Vlado
        Once I've spent a bit of time messing, I will post my setup.
        Kind Regards,
        Richard Birket
        http://www.blinkimage.com

Comment

Here is my render plus settings. Any hints on how to get the caustics to appear greatly appreciated.
          Attached Files
          Stefanie

https://renderkitchen.com/

Comment

Put your Caustic Multiplier on your light up to something silly like 50,000 and then 200,000 to see some caustics working, then tweak settings from there.
            Maxscript made easy....
            davewortley.wordpress.com
            Follow me here:
            facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

I have this quote from Vlado I refer to when doing caustics:

The answer to that would depend on how you are lighting the scene. But in general, I myself would use just the normal caustics (not the directly visible ones), max. photons set to 0, and max. density locked to 1/3rd to 1/4th of the search distance. Then I would play with the Search distance to reach the amount of blurriness that can be tolerated, and then its just a matter of shooting more photons until they become relatively noise-free. Also, I would try to use relatively small light sources or point light sources (large area lights might take a very long time to clear up the caustics in this way).

I still find it very problematic to set up, but these guides help. In your case you may need to increase the intensity, but I think the crazy high numbers are usually only needed with non-vray lights. If your scenes is at fairly normal scale your search distance may be way high though. I tend to do bottles, and at size (say 20cm high) I use search distances that are <1cm quite often, so may try a really low one and see what you get.

b
              Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
              e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

Do you have the "Affect Shadows" option for the glass material on or off? It needs to be turned OFF for any caustics to appear from that material.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
                X