vray and openEXR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vray and openEXR?

i know most (if not all) HDRI users here use splutterfish's HDRI plugin with vray. splutterfish just released a new plugin for openEXR support. would this work the same way with vray as the HDRI plugin?

Re: vray and openEXR?

Originally posted by sketch
    i know most (if not all) HDRI users here use splutterfish's HDRI plugin with vray. splutterfish just released a new plugin for openEXR support. would this work the same way with vray as the HDRI plugin?
    Most use the Vray HDRI material! It's better then then the Blur one!

But you can use what every you want. Even openExr works!
    The good thing with openExr is, that you can export your GI solution and reimport it to Photoshop!

I spoke to some 2D composting tool developer 2 days ago. And they said that openExr is the format of the future! So great things to come maybe.

robert
    I'm registed believe me! Just miss that logo.

Comment

Unfortunately, I can only add some questions ...

What is the main difference, if any, between the two formats? Accuracy, programmability, rendering speed, ease of use, ... ?

At this time, I still haven't found a huge library of HDRI skies and natural environnements (forests, montains, seas, etc.). I would appreciate much if anyone could point a link to such a database.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Nenad

Comment

Re: vray and openEXR?

Argh, I must have been asking at the time you were answering.

Originally posted by 3dform
        (...) The good thing with openExr is, that you can export your GI solution and reimport it to Photoshop! (...)
        Can you please be more explicit. What do you mean by exporting GI to PS?

Regards,

Nenad

Comment

OpenEXR

One thing thats very usefull in film\effects production is channels in the file allowing one to enter custom data like camera settings, orientation and position, and much more (Scene light data). Add to that the possibility to compress losslessly and its pretty obvious that this format , or what it evolves into, will become more and more common in production scenarios.
          Signing out,
          Christian

Comment

Originally posted by Nenad
            At this time, I still haven't found a huge library of HDRI skies and natural environnements (forests, montains, seas, etc.). I would appreciate much if anyone could point a link to such a database.
            Nenad
            Try this: http://www.sachform.de/
            Torgeir Holm | www.netronfilm.com

Comment

Re: OpenEXR

Originally posted by trixian
              One thing thats very usefull in film\effects production is channels in the file allowing one to enter custom data like camera settings, orientation and position, and much more (Scene light data). Add to that the possibility to compress losslessly and its pretty obvious that this format , or what it evolves into, will become more and more common in production scenarios.
              The real BIG thing in OpenExr is that you can not only make use of a full GI color depth (Exposer...White then White etc..). You can include all Layers in a open Source format.
              That means: It don't matter what Software you are using, you can use it, as long as someone makes an importer...
              For Videopost it means full feature support for up to 128 bit color depth (or floating). So don't care if someone says you rendering is to bright or dark or need more contrast, you can change that later whitout loosing...

HDRI and OpenExr is basically the same, with the differences that the later supports layer, compression and some other extras...

robert
              I'm registed believe me! Just miss that logo.

Comment

I'm new to the whole openEXR format, but I am slowly getting educated. This is what I know...

It is pretty much a completely open image format. It has the ability to store images at a High Dynamic Range... basically higher then the 8 bit/channel tif that you are used to.

Currently you may know more about the HDR format which is a simple "generic" high dynamic range format.

OpenEXR can store info in an hdr format, plus embed a lot of other information such as GI, shadow, reflection, object ID, whatever... it is up to you to write what you want in the file... hence the "open" format.

Think of it as HDRI + RPF (rich pixel format)... being completely programable, with great lossless compression. From what I hear the Brazil people have the openEXR do a lot more INSIDE brazil, beyond what you see in their free version.

Comment

http://www.sachform.de/openexr.asp

Comment

OOPS! i guess i have to respectfully corrent my earlier remark (most users use SF's plugin)... i don't use HDRI because of it's long render times, so the fact that Vray supports HDRI standard slipped my mind.

so then does this mean i don't need SF's openEXR plugin, or i do (if i want to use EXR)?

Comment

yes, it is the only way to use EXR's at the moment
                      Eric Boer
                      Dev

Comment

How do you use OpenEXR images as HDRI in VRay, its a different file type right? Is there a plug-in that allows VRay to read it? I found the photoshop plug-in, or are we mainly talking about final images in OpenEXR?
                        SF has one, will we need an update for VRay to read them?

Bit behind on the subject.
                        "It's the rebels sir....They're here..."

Comment

Working...
                        X