VRayPhysicalCam + VraySky + HDRI/sky?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRayPhysicalCam + VraySky + HDRI/sky?

Hey guys, sorry I've been searching the forums in an attempt to find a solution to my problem. I have a scene that is using a vray sun with physical camera. The issue is that I want to place a sky with clouds to get a more pleasing effect on the reflections of the scene below. My results have varied widely from the sky being blown out white to being muddled. Anyone have a work flow for integrating a sky without causing too much damage?

thanks
    Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

You'll probably have to play with your vraycamera's f-stop/shutter/iso to get the desired results. Is your exposure turned on? I leave my HDRI/Vray Dome as a multiplier of 30, my Sun is default, and VrayCam is usually around 16/100/100.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
      You'll probably have to play with your vraycamera's f-stop/shutter/iso to get the desired results. Is your exposure turned on? I leave my HDRI/Vray Dome as a multiplier of 30, my Sun is default, and VrayCam is usually around 16/100/100.
      Yes, I'm using the camera with exposure adjusted to look perfect with a vraysun/sky that has been left at its defaults.

Can you go into more details about what you mean with the HDRI/Vray Dome? Are you playing the HDRI in another light that then works alongside the Vraysky in the enviro/gi slots?

Comment

Don't put your sky in the environment slot. Put it into a Vray Light (Dome). Then you can either adjust the power of the light to fit your cam settings, or play with the map's output.
        Check my blog

Comment

Originally posted by cheerioboy View Post
          Hey guys, sorry I've been searching the forums in an attempt to find a solution to my problem. I have a scene that is using a vray sun with physical camera. The issue is that I want to place a sky with clouds to get a more pleasing effect on the reflections of the scene below. My results have varied widely from the sky being blown out white to being muddled. Anyone have a work flow for integrating a sky without causing too much damage?

thanks

If you only want the HDRI as a reflection map & not for lighting then you need to put it in the environment map slot. [If you put it in a vray dome light it will affect the lighting in the scene]

In the Vray ENVIRONMENT TAB also put your Vray SKy into the 'GI Environment override' slot

Done!

The scene will now light with Vray sky but your reflections will show the HDRI sky so obviously you need to keep the two similar otherwise the render will look wrong/fake.

Hope this helps

Comment

Great input guys, I appreciate it. 3DMK's suggestion ended up being the direction I took although I can see the issues with the sun light and color it gives off not matching up with the reflections unless you tweak it. I also had to play with the gamma of the hdri to get the sky to look decent with my camera/sun setup.

Comment

Have you seen Peter Guthier´s blog and hdri tutorial?
              Facebook Offical Page

CG Online Portfolio:
              Gallery

Comment

Working...
              X