Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image based lighting without GI and no light

Hi,

I thought that to get image based lighting from an hdri, I had to put the hdri in the GI environment slot or in a skylight AND use GI.

But it seems that when i have no light in my scene, I just put the hdri in the reflection slot and I am getting IBL without GI activated.... But as soon as i want to add a light, everything goes black except what's lighten by this light...

Also very strange when I was trying to do the same thing with my lowest render settings to get a preview, everything was black...

Is this some kind of cheat to get image based ligthting? Or is it just the default lighting? And what is the default lighting setup exactly?

Explosion & smoke I did with PhoenixFD
    Little Antman
    See Iron Baby and other of my models on Turbosquid!
    Some RnD involving PhoenixFD

If you don't enable GI, you will only get reflections, and default lighting, which is not IBL. If you get a dark scene with GI enabled, then it might be that your HDRI is too dark.

For IBL lighting, you can also use a VRayLight in "Dome" mode with the HDRI as a texture map.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

oups sorry my post got duplicated when I just wanted to edit it.
      Ok thanks. Just happen to have a scene where the default lighting was strongly identical to IBL. Only 10 times faster.
      Most of the time I use IBL only as a guideline and then I try to reproduce it with max standard lights (with vray shadow) to get 10 times faster rendering. Anyway the most important details of the HDRI image come though the reflection.

I have another related question: are the max standard lights with vray shadow the fatest lights in vray or is it there a way to make vray lights faster than standard max lights?

Explosion & smoke I did with PhoenixFD
      Little Antman
      See Iron Baby and other of my models on Turbosquid!
      Some RnD involving PhoenixFD

Comment

Working...
      X