Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glass join question - Display case with glass sides, front and top

Hi all

I have a "glass box" with the glass joining 45 degress at the corners. The lazy way is by making a big box, a smaller box inside it, and just boolean the small one out. This however doesn't give you the 45 degree joins. Draw it properly with the joins and you get double faces on the join when rendering. Add the silicon in between the join slighlty overlapping both glass parts?
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

How about creating a box primitive > apply Edit Poly > delete bottom polygon face > apply Shell modifier

For the Shell modifier ... adjust Inner or Outer amount and make sure to enable (tick) "Straighten corners" checkbox at the bottom ... for the 45 degree joints.

As for the silicon joints ... maybe you can recreate the 45 degree angled faces by snapping to the appropriate points on two corners.

And copy/rotate these faces to the other corners.
    Last edited by infotech; 01-06-2010, 09:56 AM.

Comment

it's glass, so you'll still get double faces on the joins this way
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

I was always under the impression that glass-type edges (faces that touch other faces) should overlap slightly to prevent problems. For example, for a liquid in a glass, you should model the liquid to overlap the glass slightly. So, in your glass box example, I would model thin boxes for each of the sides, and at the join, create a mastic joint that overlaps the glass slightly.

I think Vray works with overlapping quite well - isn't it also related top the cutoff threshold or something?
        Kind Regards,
        Richard Birket
        ----------------------------------->
        http://www.blinkimage.com

----------------------------------->

Comment

Working...
        X