Vray Z-depth and CS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Z-depth and CS4

I realize this question is more CS4 based but I was curious if someone who is familiar with Z-depth and CS4 could please give me a quick education how to composite the Z-depth image. The attachment is a screen shot of CS4. In my timeline, I have the original image on one line and the Z-depth image in the above timeline. As you can see, the Z-depth image is completely blocking out the original image so how do I get CS4 to recognize the alpha channel? Please do not tell me it is as simple as adjusting the opacity slider. I tried that and it still does not look right and I attempted to use the online help with no success.

Thanks,

Scott.
    Attached Files

Are you trying to make it recognize the z-depth as an alpha, or are you just trying to apply it as a fog element. To use as fog, click on 'toggle switch / modes' at the bottom and set the blending mode of the z-depth to 'overlay'. To use the z-depth as an alpha, make sure the z-depth is directly over the layer you are trying to apply it as alpha, then click on the 'TrkMat' of the color layer and set it to 'Luma Matte "z-depth layer"'.

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by rfellers View Post
      Are you trying to make it recognize the z-depth as an alpha, or are you just trying to apply it as a fog element. To use as fog, click on 'toggle switch / modes' at the bottom and set the blending mode of the z-depth to 'overlay'. To use the z-depth as an alpha, make sure the z-depth is directly over the layer you are trying to apply it as alpha, then click on the 'TrkMat' of the color layer and set it to 'Luma Matte "z-depth layer"'.

Ryan
      Ryan,

Thank you for the quick response and yes, I am looking for a fog effect. I want to create some haze in the background (depth) and make the image not so pristine. Now…. I’m going to sound like a complete idiot. I’m not that savvy in premiere so I have no idea what you are talking about. For example, you said to “Toggle switch / modes” I do not no what this means and you mentioned “at the bottom” Ok…….bottom of what? Are you talking about the Video Effects tab / Opacity and clicking on the Blend Mode drop down and setting it to overlay? If that is the case, that did not work

Thanks again,

Scott.

Comment

He meant in after fx not in premiere. Toggle switch\modes is the switch for different blending mode, multiply,screen, overlay, add etc.... or you can use it as an alpha for the layer uppon it using the trkmat, let say u put a light blue\white solid for the fog layer and over it your zdepth sequence, on the light blue solid you use the trkmat above to control the opacity, in luma mode so it use the luminescence of the layer of the zdepth, hope it helps!
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Kr0no View Post
          He meant in after fx not in premiere. Toggle switch\modes is the switch for different blending mode, multiply,screen, overlay, add etc.... or you can use it as an alpha for the layer uppon it using the trkmat, let say u put a light blue\white solid for the fog layer and over it your zdepth sequence, on the light blue solid you use the trkmat above to control the opacity, in luma mode so it use the luminescence of the layer of the zdepth, hope it helps!
          Ok…thanks. I have never used AF before and I realize it is a very powerful tool so I guess it is time to jump in and start using it. I may have a few more questions as I get into it.

Thank you,

Scott.

Comment

Yep - sorry, thought you were talking After Effects, not premeire... I'm not as familiar with premeire, but I would think you could do probably place the Z-depth directly overtop of the color pass in the timeline and do a similar thing with blending mode.

Ryan

Comment

Working...
            X