No announcement yet.

V-Ray - SIGGRAPH - 2010 - Online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we are to build a GPU render farm then Id love to do it on ATI... Stick their Cold dual gpu cards in 2/4x in 1 PC and we got very powerfull monster... where Nvidia kinda will melt the entire case....electricity etc etc..
    CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

We would love to get it working on ATI hardware too, and we are working with them to resolve the issues. There has been some progress lately, but things are not quite there yet.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Nividia GTX 480 is the recommended card for 3dsmax by the cgarchitect.com comparison.
        Those heat issues where greatly exaggarated by some tech bloggers.

Those new Vray features look awesome,
        can't wait to get my hands on 2.0.
        Reflect, repent and reboot.
        Order shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by tammo View Post
          Nividia GTX 480 is the recommended card for 3dsmax by the cgarchitect.com comparison.
          Those heat issues where greatly exaggarated by some tech bloggers.

Those new Vray features look awesome,
          can't wait to get my hands on 2.0.
          Heya

I bet that for workstation it is better but as renderfarm id rather invest in energy/power than power/air condidion... ^^

U have maybe still links to the article? Id check it out too...

Comment

For the price of one 1.5GB GTX 480 with a 448bit pipe, you can get (2) 1GB GTX 460's with 256bit pipes which will outperform a single 480.

You get more memory and the SLI linear scaling compensates for the lower memory bandwidth IMO.
            Last edited by GatesB; 13-08-2010, 10:37 AM.

Comment

You can't add up the Memory when using multiple graphic Cards.
              Each one is holding its own copy of the scene in memory.
              In the Videos it looks like the new RT is somehow downsampling the textures automatically to make them fit into the GPU memory. All the meshes have to be loaded into each card, too.
              Only the Framebuffer is shared by using the Main Memory.
              Order shall return.

Comment

After having used a GTX480 in production for the last couple of months, I am going to be migrating over the the new Quadro 5000. I have hated every single minute I have had with my GTX480 and working with VERY large data sets within Max. It is completely unacceptable performance for me. Don't even get me started on my ATi HD5970...it's worse than the 480, which I assume is crappy drivers.

At this point I am gladly willing to put down the money on a Quadro 5000 if I can get the performance back that I had with my Quadro FX4500. I need to be able to work with my large files without having to wait for redraw issues/adaptive degradation updates/ etc. My scenes are highly optimized with layers and things like that, but once you get a bunch of CAD data in the scene, the performance is TERRIBLE! The GTX480 may be a great card for VRayRT, but it definitely is NOT cutting it in my production pipeline. Especially when it is getting handily beaten by a 3+yr old Quadro card.

Ah the joys of new technology. Tried to go cheaper and I am paying the price right now. I finally ripped out the 480 and put the Quadro 4500 back in and I can't believe the performance difference. But then again, I am in Windows 7 64bit and things were definitely different in XP, where the two cards seemed to be a little closer.

Oh well, I need lots of frames rendered for animation and when I get my new Westmere rendernodes, I will be a happy camper! ;P
                Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
                Midwest Studios

Comment

So the Nvidia ploy worked. They cripple the game cards' drivers for DCC apps to force pro users to buy Quadros - and so you buy a Quadro...
                  Check my blog

Comment

It's not like that anymore when you could softmod a NVIDIA gamecard into a Quadro and get a Performance boost.
                    Starting with the 285 Series and even more with newer GPUs they change the hardware a lot for the Quadro Cards.
                    Even if there are some similarities to the chip architecture you are looking at a whole computing system on a single card.
                    For GPU rendering its important if you have 4GB memory available instead of 1.
                    Order shall return.

Comment

Humh interesting. But whats the point of that for nvidia to ctiple GTX cards if they >>>>>> Quatro cards in GPU rendering ? or is their plan to push 6/12 gb quatros thats gona be 5x more expensive than GTX and 2x slower just to get profit? I dunno but I already dont like where GPU market is going !! :[

from another side I wonder how does will perform intels/amd CPU/GPU processorss maybe we wont need nvidia/ati at all in few next years ^^
                      Last edited by Dariusz Makowski (Dadal); 16-08-2010, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X