Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Long John
    bolteon thats a naiv answer.
    Common John, there is no need to answer in an aggressive tone.

There is some logic in Bolteons idea :
    If you have a substantial DR renderfarm you'll prefer to let the slaves do the hard work and leave the workstation free of any rendering job.

But as you tried to imply, not every one possesses of a 20cpu renderfarm. Hence, one is more tempted to let the workstation join the calculations....
    - Geert -

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    www.3DIGIT.be
    3Dprinting in full color !

Comment

Jep, indeed, I only have one pc... Task manager works, but pausing sometimes is better and faster imo.
      Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

Common John, there is no need to answer in an aggressive tone.
        There is some logic in Bolteons idea :
        you have not always the opportunity to render on a second system and thats why i think it´s a bit naiv (i don´t wrote "stupid"!).

Comment

IMHO none of these reasons is worth slowing V-Ray down
          Eric Boer
          Dev

Comment

I often pause my renders when I need to access another progam on my machine. I have several machines I can farm out to, but when you're doing heaps of test renders, there's no point farming renders out to another machine to free up your main workstation.

The problem with pausing I find (other than the fact it takes a long time to pause) is that the RAM is still being hogged by Max/VRay. I've got 2GB of Ram and even I shut down the render if I'm going to work on Photoshop.

But a pause that actually pauses when you ask it to would be nice.

Just my 2 cents.

Sunny

Comment

You could also set VRay to render with "Low priority threads"...

VRay will then use (all?) Idle time to render.

That way PS and other apps work more responsive. This doesn't solve the RAM-problem though.

Needless to say your rendering times will increase.

Make sure no "Normal priority threads" are unintentionally running though...

Comment

Originally posted by Long John
                you have not always the opportunity to render on a second system and thats why i think it´s a bit naiv (i don´t wrote "stupid"!).
                That's why my older, "obsolete" systems are being rebuild to serve as renderfarms. Aslong they are capable of performing 30% of the fastest system in the farm, it makes sense to let them join the calculation.

so , nope, that P133mhz won't make it anymore
                - Geert -

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                www.3DIGIT.be
                3Dprinting in full color !

Comment

Originally posted by mike_kennedy
                  One of the reasons's I have heard of is that the constant checks required to see if the user has pressed the pause button reduce speed and VRAY is very focused on speed and as a result this feature was ignored to keep VRAY fast. No sure if this is true at all, but it sounds reasonable.
                  ... never seen a more ridiculous reason to make a pause button not working

Comment

I never pause, so I would take the speed increase if it is a valid reason
                    Two heads are better than one ...
                    ....but some head is better than none.....

Comment

Working...
                    X