Vray 2.0: 2 paid updates per year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rajdarge View Post
    I for one am very disappointed with the current upgrade path and pricing. Vray-RT is a rarely used and very buggy piece of software. I felt a little betrayed when I bought it...
    Then why didn't you return it for a refund!? Did you report the bugs?

In the Vray RT forum there is a call for beta testers. Why I would beta test software that has caused me so much grief
    What particular grief did it cause you? Also, the purpose of the beta testing is to iron out bugs on software that you use. We do it for you not for us or someone else.

and from a company that has abandoned its loyal userbase to chase the new user is beyond me.
    How exactly did we abandon you for the last 3 years since you purchased V-Ray (judging by this post: http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...389#post349389)?

It doesnt make a lot of business sense to me either as the people most likely to part with money are the customers who have already parted with money and purchased your product. Every dollar you spend keeping your current customer base happy needs 10x as much to attract the new customer.
    I've been doing that for the past 8 years - doing technical support, providing you with bug fixes and improvements, replying to forum posts and what not (yes, sometimes I do feel chained to my desk ). If you are unhappy with what I've been doing - what will make you happy?

I do understand where you are coming from, I've already pointed the relevant people to these threads, we've all agreed that it is something that should be reviewed, but really this is a bit too much.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    Last edited by vlado; 09-09-2010, 08:03 AM.
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I would like to say that I have always been very happy and impressed with Vray support. Thanks Vlado for all your efforts and the efforts of your team. No pricing structure can be 100% fair, there will always be people that are disappointed (and if I purchased Vray and RT on the 30th Of July I might be one of them ) but overall Vray has been a great product at an affordable price with hardly any paid upgrades and an outstanding cutomer support. Keep up the good work.
      Stefanie

https://renderkitchen.com/

Comment

I do understand where you are coming from, I've already pointed the relevant people to these threads, we've all agreed that it is something that should be reviewed, but really this is a bit too much.
        Does this mean there will be a revised payment model for the older owners of Vray and RT ?

Personally I think the support has been great in all the years ive been using vray. I can understand this is quite a tricky pricing model to keep everyone happy but at least chaosgroup are listening. I think that shows more than anything how they are customer focused !! Other companies would just put the price out there and everyone would have to suck it up.

Saying that, it would be good to have the older owners of vray and rt given a better deal, as a lot of those people are those that have delivered info on bugs etc to get this software to the stage it is currently.

By the way, im on a tropical Island typing this so at the moment I dont really care !!! If I didnt have vray, chances are I wouldnt have had enough work to be able to afford this...cheers Chaosgroup !
        Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
          but really this is a bit too much.
          I agree. I've been using V-ray since the earliest builds & in all those years I've never felt hard done by or disregarded - you only have to look at Vlado's dedication in replying to posts & problems on this forum to see that.

While yes, I feel a little frustrated that the price we paid for our licenses of RT has not been taken into account in the new upgrade - the reality is that V-ray has paid for itself a multitude of times over & when it comes down to it, I really don't begrudge being slightly out of pocket to improve the overall product we rely on day in, day out.
          MDI Digital
          moonjam

Comment

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I'm glad to hear this and hope you take it to heart. I don't disagree with the cost of the upgrade for Vray. I just feel that those that purchased RT should be offered a better deal since we already voluntarily contributed to the cost of development over the past year compared to those who didn't, especially since the product we purchased RT standalone will be discontinued. I certainly don't expect a free upgrade.

Comment

the reality is that V-ray has paid for itself a multitude of times over & when it comes down to it, I really don't begrudge being slightly out of pocket to improve the overall product we rely on day in, day out.
              This has got to be the best thing said in this whole thread!
              -----Dwayne D. Ellis-----

Comment

I do understand where you are coming from, ...we've all agreed that it is something that should be reviewed...

Best regards,
                Vlado
                This is great to hear, Vlado. Since the products are going to be combined, I really do believe that a bit of a discount for those that jumped on RT early is appropriate.

Thanks again for taking a closer look at this,

-Alan

Comment

Originally posted by arobbert View Post
                  I'm glad to hear this and hope you take it to heart. I don't disagree with the cost of the upgrade for Vray. I just feel that those that purchased RT should be offered a better deal since we already voluntarily contributed to the cost of development over the past year compared to those who didn't, especially since the product we purchased RT standalone will be discontinued. I certainly don't expect a free upgrade.
                  i totaly agree with you arobbert...

Comment

Originally posted by wxyz View Post
                    My experience with high end audio software is that early adopters are rewarded.
                    Haha, what package?

Comment

Also, the purpose of the beta testing is to iron out bugs on software that you use. We do it for you not for us or someone else.

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      This sounds a little naive to me (and borderline arrogant). Surely Chaos irons out bugs to sell more, as no one buys buggy software. Since few professionals can afford to use buggy beta software in production I think the users help the developer by ironing out bugs, not the other way around. One has to remember that the user and the developer are a team, one can't live without the other, although the developer many times forgets this as software becomes successful.

I appreciate the fact that Vray has been around for many years with fantastic support at very little upgrade cost, and there rightfully so seems to be a lot of appreciation for this in the user base. However, one also has to remember that this doesn't apply to everybody and some of us came on board very recently and have had a little bit different ROI here. Either way, no one have had 8 years of support on Vray RT. Buying a package in good faith from a trusted company leaves a slightly bitter after taste when it is shortly after in practice is given away to everybody.

I didn't first understand the upgrade policy, it quite honestly didn't make sense, but now that I do I would like to pitch my vote for some form of compensation. Since I bought both this year another $470 is beyond my means. I would for instance see it as very fair if the August 1 price was extended to those that has VRay RT as well. It can't be that many, and most of these has to be your most loyal core of users.

Sorry for the whining, I would just like to afford it.

Comment

Originally posted by kein_plan View Post
                        i totaly agree with you arobbert...
                        I also agree...and feel that those companies that had purchased RT earlier will be getting burned at upgrade time.
                        I do feel that the upgrade to V-Ray 2.0 is just fine.

Comment

Also, the purpose of the beta testing is to iron out bugs on software that you use. We do it for you not for us or someone else.

Best regards,
                          Vlado
                          This sounds a little naive to me (and borderline arrogant). Surely Chaos irons out bugs to sell more, as no one buys buggy software. Since few professionals can afford to use buggy beta software in production I think the users help the developer by ironing out bugs, not the other way around. One has to remember that the user and the developer are a team, one can't live without the other, although the developer many times forgets this as software becomes successful.

I appreciate the fact that Vray has been around for many years with fantastic support at very little upgrade cost, and there rightfully so seems to be a lot of appreciation for this in the user base. However, one also has to remember that this doesn't apply to everybody and some of us came on board very recently and have had a little bit different ROI here. Either way, no one have had 8 years of support on Vray RT. Buying a package in good faith from a trusted company leaves a slightly bitter after taste when it is shortly after in practice is given away to everybody.

I didn't first understand the upgrade policy, it quite honestly didn't make sense, but now that I do I would like to pitch my vote for some form of compensation. Since I bought both this year another $470 is beyond my means. I would for instance see it as very fair if the August 1 price was extended to those that has VRay RT as well. It can't be that many, and most of these has to be your most loyal core of users.

Comment

Originally posted by voltron7 View Post
                            those companies that had purchased RT earlier will be getting burned at upgrade time..
                            i am not a company. just an individual who is hoping to stay at the top of my game and hope the economy gets better soon or i'll be looking for a new career flipping burgers or pack supermarket shelves...

claude
                            Originally posted by 3DMK
                            do I want to be a rich business man or a poor artist?

caddworkx

Comment

Best regards,
                              Vlado

Comment

All, I'm very sorry for my repeated posts! I have no idea why this is happening, and it was certainly not my intention.
                                Last edited by Nicinus; 09-09-2010, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X