Vray 2.0: 2 paid updates per year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by claude_tnt View Post
    i am not a company. just an individual who is hoping to stay at the top of my game and hope the economy gets better soon or i'll be looking for a new career flipping burgers or pack supermarket shelves...

claude
    this idea of flipping burgers or working on the till crossed my mind few times this year ))))))
    Martin
    http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

After working in 3D for so long I think flipping burgers may be the only thing I'm qualified to do. I'll have to watch a few tutorials first to brush up on my technique.

V Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Nicinus View Post
        Surely Chaos irons out bugs to sell more, as no one buys buggy software. Since few professionals can afford to use buggy beta software in production I think the users help the developer by ironing out bugs, not the other way around. One has to remember that the user and the developer are a team, one can't live without the other...
        Certainly. I was simply pointing out why one would want to be a part of the beta.

...although the developer many times forgets this as software becomes successful.
        Well, you could say that it goes the other way round too; software comes and goes and people have jobs to do. "It is the artist that matters", they say, and don't think about all the work that went into their tools.

Buying a package in good faith from a trusted company leaves a slightly bitter after taste when it is shortly after in practice is given away to everybody.
        Yes, I understand that and perhaps this could have been handled better; but the story is not finished yet anyway.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        Last edited by vlado; 09-09-2010, 01:21 PM.
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Yes, I understand that and perhaps this could have been handled better; but the story is not finished yet anyway.
          Thanks Vlado. I'm sorry to have been such a pain in the ass but perhaps I've made some sense and not caused a worse problem here. I'm sure we all still love you guys!
          LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
          HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
          Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
            Best regards,
            Vlado
            i hope this turns out a win-win for everyone
            thank valdo

claude
            Originally posted by 3DMK
            do I want to be a rich business man or a poor artist?

caddworkx

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
              Well, you could say that it goes the other way round too; software comes and goes and people have jobs to do. "It is the artist that matters", they say, and don't think about all the work that went into their tools.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I totally agree, but in this case it is also a food chain and the artist is the customer, even though both parties hopefully makes money here.

I just want to emphasize that I think it's a great idea to combine it into one package, and how you sell and what you charge is at the end of the day entirely up to you, and whatever you decide to do I love the capabilities of the software and sooner or later I will buy the upgrade anyway. But it's the same as with my beloved iPhone that I bought at day one after coming over the shell shock of having to pay $600 for it, and then Apple drops the price with 200 bucks two months later. It's a bit of a cold shower and beyond that premium some manufacturers feel early adopters are supposed to pay.

Comment

ok can some one, especially vlado, calculate for me a price of vray upgrade ? my situation is i have vray and only vray renderer from around 2005 year .....

Comment

Originally posted by Janosik View Post
                  ok can some one, especially vlado, calculate for me a price of vray upgrade ? my situation is i have vray and only vray renderer from around 2005 year .....
                  You bought V-Ray before August 1st 2010, so your upgrade will be $510 (or €400 in Europe)

Torgeir Holm | www.netronfilm.com

Comment

thanks to explain, we graphics are talking through pictures

Comment

It seems to me, after following this forum for years, that things change rapidly. I can remember reading here that GPU real-time renderings will not work as good as CPU real-time, so Chaos will not pursue that avenue (or something like that). I also remember getting MAX 2011 with the built in real-time render engine so it was obvious to me that V-Ray can't charge a premium for their real-time render engine. I guess you have to move where the industry leads and change happens fast. I can only imagine that the Chaos guys didn't plan on bundling their RT into V-Ray when they first started selling it as a stand alone; not until MAX 2011 came out did they switch gears. Just my 1 cent.
                      Bobby Parker
                      www.bobby-parker.com
                      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Does anyone know what exactly the upgrade offers besides Vray RT (which I don't really care about after trying the demo)? I'm not a marketing genius, but somehow I find it to strange to announce a price for something and not tell what people are supposed to pay for.
                        Last edited by ralf_al; 10-09-2010, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
                          It seems to me, after following this forum for years, that things change rapidly. I can remember reading here that GPU real-time renderings will not work as good as CPU real-time, so Chaos will not pursue that avenue (or something like that). I also remember getting MAX 2011 with the built in real-time render engine so it was obvious to me that V-Ray can't charge a premium for their real-time render engine. I guess you have to move where the industry leads and change happens fast. I can only imagine that the Chaos guys didn't plan on bundling their RT into V-Ray when they first started selling it as a stand alone; not until MAX 2011 came out did they switch gears. Just my 1 cent.
                          Interesting point. I guess it left them wondering what to do with all those existing customers. We can see what they decided.

Comment

I understand the frustration, but it is a risk one takes whenever one purchases something. It's like buying an Apple computer, and 2 weeks later they release the brand new model much better than the old one for the same price. Like buying something at the store and next day finding out they just did a 50% sale off after you bought it at full price. Like buying a new house to then see the market crash and see the same house sell for many thousands of dollars less.

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
                            It seems to me, after following this forum for years, that things change rapidly.
                            Things change rapidly, and most things are beyond one's control. One does whatever one can to stay in business.

Comment

The community I find here is worth far more than what they can charge for the software. You guys are among some of the brightest professionals I have had the pleasure in knowing. The chaos groupd could lower the cost of software and start charging to access this forum
                              Bobby Parker
                              www.bobby-parker.com
                              e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                              phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                              • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                              • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                              • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

The chaos groupd could lower the cost of software and start charging to access this forum
                                I speculate that one of the reasons why this forum became private to begin with was to:
                                a) Cut down on spam and less serious posts.
                                b) Get people to purchase the software that wanted to participate in the discussions.

If they started to charge additional for forum access (beyond the cost of the software), then I'd stop participating or other forums such as Evermotion would start to look more attractive.
                                LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                                HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                                Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X