Displacement mapping filtering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displacement mapping filtering?

Is there anybody who have some experience getting nice smooth displacement with the newest vray?

I have tried all kind of different filtering, but I cant seem to get a nice "bluring"..

It also seemes that when I try to increase the bluring amount I get some artifacts...

You cant see much jagged edges on the one with summed area filtering and a little bit blur due to the jpg compression..but its there..

-Tom

Can't see what you're saying winberg.

There isn't one with summed Area checked. Is it the second set of images down?

What do the two columns represent? I'm assuming that the left one is an older version of VRay and the right side is the newest?

Though it's not what you want the first row looks cool, would be interesting to see what your map looks like.

--Jon

Comment

Ok, I was making the image in a hurry, the bottom row is the one with summed area filtering.....

The left column have some blur on it, while the right columd have noen..

The point is that I cant make the displacement "smooth" enough, I always get some kind of stepping..

-Tom

Comment

Maybe you have to apply the smoothing in the modifier not in the material. The subdivision is what makes it steped anyhow.
        Try to use a bitmap for comparsion too.

Robert

nice test, by the way.
        I'm registed believe me! Just miss that logo.

Comment

Tom,

I have the same problem... One of my disp. map worked fine with the older builds, but now I have to blur the image more or decrease the resolution of the displacement, although it makes losing quality...

Best regards,
          Palee

Comment

Tom, try to match the resolution parameter in VRayDisplacementMod with the resolution of your bitmap image.

This particular part of VRay has not changed since quite some time, so if things looked ok with an earlier build, they should look ok with the latest one too.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I did some tests and it would seem that Summed Area filtering with some Blur offset gives quite acceptable results...

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

What kind of blur settings did you use vlado?

-Tom

Comment

Working...
                X