vray = the best

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vray = the best

I want to share my experience I have made in the last few weeks testing other rendering systems.

I have made some research for our company.
    I have tested, maxwell, indigio, octane and thea render systems. with all of these systems you can get incredible results, but in my opinion the biggest disadvantage is the standalone studio of most of these systems. there are export plugins for max, but in many cases they are in a early alpha or beta stage. the second thing is the material conversion. for a user of vray it's nearly impossible to remake all the materials and textures for another renderer. there are converter mostly shipped with the new renderer, but it's not error free and then you have to remake the materials either. the next point are the procedural maps like noise or cellular they have to be converted to a texturemap mostly 512x512px in size. I ask myself if they are moved correctly, because if it's mapped "object XYZ" how the map would be moved? is it seamless? what' happens with a "falloff map"? the next thing is the camera correction. I know it's a little thing but for a professional it's still important. only vray provides a "automatic" option to guess the shift values. the next thing is the sun and sky system. in most of the other systems you have to rotate the scene to control the north direction, what's quite painful.

so I love vray. beside of the fact vray is more complicated to learn and to tweak. sometimes you have to spend hours to get clean renderings.

but the most important point is the speed. regardless of the quality you can achieve a deadline is more important to hold. the customer wont see the quality in most cases. he want's to achieve a good mood or a statement with the image you have created.

an example. I have a room rendered with vray in max 2 hours at a res. of 6k. with all other systems the render process is much longer and not acceptable for me.

finally here are some points why vray is so strong. (in my opinion)
    - the most important (I hope this wont change in future) vray works in max itself. all the procedural maps are working correctly. all the lights and modifier are working. I don't want to list all the pros.
    - vray is fast and offers most of the techniques like irradiance map, lightcache, bruteforce, photonmap, etc.

AND chaosgroup is providing a great support! and beside of that, vlado and his team is working hard to push vray to the next level. I look forward to vray 2.0.

thank you for reading this.

best regards
    themaxxer
    Pixelschmiede GmbH
    www.pixelschmiede.ch

Very good. I agree with most of your points. But we're still not getting a discount on VRay 2.0
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

Originally posted by DVP3D View Post
      Very good. I agree with most of your points. But we're still not getting a discount on VRay 2.0
      I know.
      Pixelschmiede GmbH
      www.pixelschmiede.ch

Comment

Good to hear!

There are so many new render engines popping up recently, it's hard to keep track. There is another one called Thea as well, but already by looking at the image gallery, you see noisy images and can guess at the render times...-)
        Stefanie

https://renderkitchen.com/

Comment

Working...
        X