Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High-Res GI Presets

Quick question -

I read over at VRay Info that the preset GI settings are generally for 800x600 or around that resolution. What might you guys suggest for output over 1000 pixels in either direction? Currently I use the low, or medium preset to attain decent test renders but at high res I get some issues like small details getting blurred over and some bitmaps (bricks and what not) are in the need of some serious super-sampling but I can not find this anywhere in the VRay UI.

Thanks,

Xavier

have you tried cranking up your AA Settings.... maybe to 0 and 4.
    should sharpen things up.
    Natty
    http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

I'll give that a try, but what I was really referring to is the threshold settings in the Irradiance map. Are there any tips to look out for in high-res outputs?

Thanks for your response.

Xavier

Comment

Hi Xavier,

Usualy the default settings are good for almost all the situations, if not you can pick the better preset that fits your needs for a still as 640x480.

Then you can save the irradiance map and use it from file in a bigger image, also means that every time you double the image resolution you can increase the irradiance map settings by one, better say decrease... Example:

640x480 irradiance map min. -3 , max 0

1280x960 irradiance map min. -4 , max -1

2560x1920 irradiance map min. -5 , max -2

And the render time for the irradiance map calculation, with all this examples should be same as well.

Hope this helps you,

Gonçalo

Comment

Hey Goncalo,

Following on irradiance settings and speed. Do you know if a higher irradiance map solution also increase render time?

For example, I'm finding an IR Map saved at -3, -3 is quicker to render from than a -3,-2. It seems logical that it would, but I just want to make sure I'm not imagining things.

My render times seem to increase exponentially whenever I increase a setting, whether it be AA or IR Map.

Thanks.

Sunny

Comment

I think you answered your own question.
            At the end of the day by turning the settings up your cpu is having to calculate more .... so yes the rendering times will go up.

I think the key is with all rendering systems no matter how fast they are you got to be patient to get good results.

beleive me i know......a many hour spent rendering....rendering....rendering............... .
            Natty
            http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

Yeah it's true. Here's the problem though. IR Map with -3,-3 takes me 50 secs to calc per frame. On -3, -2 is about 2mins 40 secs. I can accept the increase in time there.

When it comes to rendering these IR Maps the render goes from 20 mins to 1 hour. I've still to raise my AA higher than 0,3 to iron out the annoying flickering I'm getting on fine geometry. I don't know how long to tell the client will take. On boy!!!

Sunny

Comment

Working...
              X