Vray GPU RT Final Renderings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray GPU RT Final Renderings?

This was just mentioned in the hardware section earlier, and I had previously thought about it too.

If you get a really fast machine for renderings, but it's going to suck that the final renderings on the CPU will probably be a lot slower.

Are there plans (or is it intended) that the RT portion will be used to render final images? Or, is there someway that a GPU can be added to help process the finals?
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

When I saw your post heading I thought "What a stupid question, we all know the answer already. I thought jujubee was one of the main guys here?"

but after reading what is in your thread, it's actually a VERY GOOD question to which I would also like to know the answer
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

I imagine at least the lightcache part of the calculation could be done by RT.
      The lightcache takes quite some time with my scenes, about 10 min. for final renderings, and it can't be distributed, so that would be cool.
      Marc Lorenz
      ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
      www.marclorenz.com
      www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

Originally posted by plastic_ View Post
        I imagine at least the lightcache part of the calculation could be done by RT.
        From what I do understand, Vray RT is brute Froce rendering (DMC/QMC)
        I do not know if RT GPU has the same approch, but I would guess that the only way to re-use that in production rendering would be to select a Brute Force GI method.
        Last edited by thablanch; 23-09-2010, 05:53 AM. Reason: typo
        Alain Blanchette
        www.pixistudio.com

Comment

My initial reaction would be no. Right now there are many, many features not yet supported by RT. But if your final render could be completely done in RT, why would you not just use RT if it is faster for you?

I would think that things get a little difficult when sending information back and forth between the CPU/GPU systems and how efficient that transfer process was could be a significant barrier.

Definitely going to follow this thread, should be some interesting discussions.

The question I have about all of this CPU/GPU talk is what is the ultimate goal people are looking for? Faster render times? More flexibility for making adjustments quickly?

Just curious.
          Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
          Midwest Studios

Comment

I'm thinking about twice of that solutions... Fast render and confortable viewport tweaking... But i've also a question, about proxys... My scene work with a tone of them and multiscatter for exemple... And how vray gpu work with that? does it work with proxys and displacement? Could we hope to render 5300px X 5300 on a GPU ? The 1 or 2go vram in the last cg card are so little in comparison of my 18 or 24 go ram in a workstation to render all picture i want...
            What is the GPU state in my pipeline if it couldn't render everything i want?
            i ll be back
            http://www.vincent-grieu.com

Comment

Originally posted by jujubee View Post
              This was just mentioned in the hardware section earlier, and I had previously thought about it too.

If you get a really fast machine for renderings, but it's going to suck that the final renderings on the CPU will probably be a lot slower.

Are there plans (or is it intended) that the RT portion will be used to render final images? Or, is there someway that a GPU can be added to help process the finals?

That's a really great question. As many of the posts have pointed out "but i use Xxx amount of proxy's, plugins etc etc.." I think RT can only go so far as a production renderer. While the speed is great, I'm not sure the artistic limitations are worth the speed increase. Those simplistic form studies and very simple massing type renders will be a joy to do in RTGPU, but I just wonder how much time will be spent in the future worrying about things that RT GPU won't be able to do rather than can do.

Perhaps that Hybrid mode will develop more which will bridge the gap between the features unsupported by the GPU. I'm wondering, does iray support everything that full blown mental ray does?

Comment

Originally posted by KAKTUSDIGITAL View Post
                I'm wondering, does iray support everything that full blown mental ray does?
                Nope.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Ideally, I'd imagine that the hopes would be that everything could be done in real-time eventually, without the need for pressing the "render" button as we currently do. I think that's obvious - but the question is whether or not we'll encounter an acceptable solution relatively soon (by the time the official release comes out.) Convergence. It seems that a lot more has been implemented with RT GPU than plain RT. Now it comes down to working out/circumventing the technical limitations. I don't think all this work would be invested if Chaos didn't think RT was the future. I have a feeling my question is getting avoided but maybe it's pretty obvious where this is headed lol.

Comment

I would be really happy just to see even CPU RT able to act fully as a preview render and can live without it entirely as a production engine. For my type of workflow just being to see everything Vray can do at interactive speed (albeit lo-res) would be more than enough time saving to make RT worth it several times over.
                    Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
                    e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

I'll be interested if they can get rid of the noise.

Comment

I've actually had clients like a little noise in their images... go figure.

Comment

That's cool. I'm very critical of noise, maybe to much so. But I bet they would not want not an RT amount of noise in an image produced in a reasonable amount of time. There are almost no examples that look clean even with the latest hardware. I hope to see some examples of noise free images produced in a reasonable amount of time using the latest and greatest hardware. This will require a substantial (by my terms) investment by people willing to show results and describe their setup.

Comment

What do you consider a reasonable amount of time?

I have recently decided that my definition of a quick render time is NOT the same as others.
                            Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
                            Midwest Studios

Comment

Something measured in minutes as opposed to hours. I currently get production quality, noise free stills in minutes using a small farm that's getting on in age.

Comment

Working...
                              X