Vray Lightmeter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Lightmeter

how does the vray lightmeter compare to a real one?

I have a sekonic light meter with spot metering both incident and reflective metering
    (if anyone is interested this one: http://www.sekonic.com/products/Seko...ITALMASTER.asp )

to read the overall light I point it up and sample a 180 degree FOV - they call this incident light, or point it at the camera.
    I put the little ball sphere in and point it at a surface I want to photograph and it becomes a reflection light meter

I use the spot metering and get a 5 degree arc of reflection back to the light meter

From that I determine my exposure. The most useful method is the 180 incident light metering back towards the camera.

So how does this compare to the vray light meter?
    Why do we use a Grid to measure light at each vertex of the grid - I might get 4 or x numbers - I know they are in lux but is what arc of visual space does this represent?

I have worked out its directional so I assume its 180 FOV; so am I getting a 180 FOV incident light meter at Every point in the grid?

Why would i Need more than 1? I might sample my scene in the photography world at multiple points, but they are all over the place - More often I sample multiple lights from a single spot (the models face) to work out lighting ratios. I would need to be able to restrict the angle of measurement in order to use Vray ligthmeter in this way.

Feature request: please provide an AVERAGE across all grids and return that value as the first or the last in the array that maxscript generates on calculate button pressed. so I have a single number from which I can calcute my exposure (I have a formula I plan to use to covert it to fstop, shutter speed and ISO).

the colour representation is nice - but could you provide a grayscal representation too?

the reason I ask this is because for a single frame you can only set one Fstop/SS/ISO and hit render. I could bracket an image - but having a grid of light meters doesnt help much in that.

What would be more useful is having an average across a number of light meter helpers: each pointing towards a given point (or camera).

Raj
    Last edited by rajdarge; 16-12-2010, 08:38 PM.
Working...
X