Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Sun Question

Hello everyone,

When using Vray sun and sky, why can’t the vray camera see the sun in the sky except in a reflection?

Thanks,

Scott

It should be visible.
    And you haven't accidentally ticked it to be invisible?
    Lasse Kilpia
    VFX Artist
    Post Control Helsinki

Comment

Originally posted by LarsSonparsson View Post
      It should be visible.
      And you haven't accidentally ticked it to be invisible?
      Ok….I was able to get the camera to see the sun, however, it brings up another question. Why does the suns location vary between the view port and the VFB?

Thanks,

Scott.
      Attached Files

Comment

Sun isn't behaving like other lights. Usually the actual light is in that position/distance where you have made it in to your scene.
        Sun is showing only the direction where the light is coming from. Actual light source is much more further. In real life, 149 million kilometers away
        I'm not sure how it is calculated in VRay. Probably same way as the max default direct light is calculated -> infinite distance.
        Lasse Kilpia
        VFX Artist
        Post Control Helsinki

Comment

Originally posted by LarsSonparsson View Post
          Sun isn't behaving like other lights. Usually the actual light is in that position/distance where you have made it in to your scene.
          Sun is showing only the direction where the light is coming from. Actual light source is much more further. In real life, 149 million kilometers away
          I'm not sure how it is calculated in VRay. Probably same way as the max default direct light is calculated -> infinite distance.
          Thanks, however, it sure would be nice if there was some type of over ride for this. I do not think there are many people who would place there sun source 93,000,000 miles from the surface of there model

Comment

Originally posted by Smalerbi View Post
            Thanks, however, it sure would be nice if there was some type of over ride for this. I do not think there are many people who would place there sun source 93,000,000 miles from the surface of there model
            The guys at Vray are much smarter than that....lol

You can be sure that there is a neat little formula/calculation working away behind your interface that makes the sun is the right size depending on your scene setup.
            Haven't you noticed that the Vray sun automaticly changes size as you move it further away or closer to your world/scene origin. This is the clever calculation doing it's thing in realtime in front of you so that we don't have to even think about what size it should be.

NOTE* The Vray Sun is not setup the same as a directional light because if it was you wouldn't get any blurry area shadows
            You can also control the size of the sun to change the sharpness of the shadows so it has plenty of flexibility.

Hope this helps

Comment

Wouldnt it be a fairly close representation between viewport and render if you just positioned the vray sun a large distance from your subject...and manipulate it using rotation so it stays at a constant distance.
              Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Would you get a better representation of the sun if you aligned the sun target to your camera???? It makes sense that they would show differently if the sun-target & camera were in different positions.

Anyone really know the answer??

Comment

Working...
                X