Smooth animation pans and nodal rotates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smooth animation pans and nodal rotates

Rendering out a 720p animation at 25fps. The animation has lots of pans and nodal rotations ( camera staying still camera rotating)

The problem I find more with the nodal rotations is that even through the camera is animation on a smooth curve the footage has a choppy feel to it. The rotation only takes 3 seconds to complete.

Has anyone else come across this problem. Is the solution render 50fps instead of 25fps? Any suggestions would be great.

Motion blur and smooth in / out on your keyframes. It really depends on how much the camera rotates over the three seconds.

Comment

Thanks Jo - 30 degrees over 5 seconds smooth in & out on keyframes already. may have to try to add a little motion blur, dont want to loose the detail of the scene so a light motion blur shouldnt hurt.

anyone tried to up the fps before with a good result or just not worth the render time?

Comment

What's it for in the end? If you're going out to dvd or tv then you'll end up throwing away the extra 25 frames. The other thing is you might find a lot of machines would struggle to play back hd at 50fps too. Might as well render a velocity pass on the next go if you've an option to use post motion blur - then you can try it for free. The amount of blur you'd get on something panning that slowly would indeed be quite small so you might not lose a huge amount of detail.

Comment

its going to be put down to web in the end. I'm going to try some motion blur and send to the farm tonight.

Comment

I'm going to relight this thread, I don't know if its just me, but I guess it may be!

So few years on....

Rendered an animation out at 25fps, it's not as smooth as I like it to be, some of the pans are a bit stuttery etc. So put it on the tv to test it out. one of these new samsung ones ( with all smoothing turned off as I hate that stuff for tv watching)

Play it and it's not as smooth as I like it to be agian, turn back on all the smoothing stuff on the tv and wow it looks amazing!

Now I know its down to refresh rate, as led monitors are 60hz so if you are playing an animation at 30fps it looks great. But not at 25fps...

What's the way around this? is it just an issue that we are all used to... or is it just me!

Comment

why are you rendering to 25fps anyway? Everyone uses 24 or 30. i'd say motion blur should fix your issue but now it sounds like you might have an encoding issue where your export is repeating frames.

The smoothing features on a tv basically add extra frames and use something like reelsmart's motion blur tech to play it back at 50fps. for complex moves (tv) it looks awful, but if you're panning across a still image it would do a great job.
              Last edited by Neilg; 05-03-2014, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X