Creating reflectors on cars, bikes -- and also reflective tape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating reflectors on cars, bikes -- and also reflective tape

I have a night time scene and I really want to create the effect of a headlight bouncing off a reflector -- actually reflective tape (like you often see on the back of trucks).

Has anyone had any success in doing this? It seems to be a hard effect to recreate -- I want that bright "lively" appearance that reflectors exhibit in real life.

I have had good results with making fairly realistic geometry for reflector lenses, and using this normal map (tiled appropriately). Use a material with high relection (white) and very high fresnel or just turn fresnel off.

For the reflective tape effect you could probably do something cool with the VrayCarpaint shader - it does a nice job of metallic effects.

/b
    Click image for larger version

Name:	reflector1N.png
Views:	1
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	843889
    Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
    e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

That's clever. Is there anything you haven't figured out, Brett?
      David M. Foster

Comment

Very many things, but top of the list is how to retire young (ish)

That map is not my invention btw: I scavenged it out of a material somewhere along the way.

/b
        Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

Thank you Brett, for the technique and the map. Seems to be helping.

Comment

And once you figure out that retirement thing, hope you'll share that too...
            David M. Foster

Comment

that secret I will never share, but I'll also never get it - so no harm done either way

something that I forgot: you may find that tiling that little map too many times creates oddness with Vray and VrayRT. If you need to tile it extensively you may want to try creating a tiled version in Photoshop, say 20X20 or whatever, and use that in Vray. It seems to help with some of the anti-aliasing problems that can crop up with too much tiling.

/b
              Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

Working...
              X