Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

losing my render settings when I save???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• losing my render settings when I save???

I keep losing my render settings when I save my drawing? I am using VIZ 4 with Vray demo. I even save my irradiance map to a file and when I check GI and re-load my file there are still settings that are missing. Can someone explain whatis happening?? Please.
    Regards Peter!

The render settings will reset when you save with the V-Ray demo. Its a "Feature" of the demo along with Dist Rendering being disabled.

-dave
    Cheers,
    -dave
    ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

I always think of adding this to the wishlist, I mean that the Demo should not reset settings after you save, but I guess that Vlado wouldn't accept that
      Or maybe????

Comment

not that I've done this (got the demo at home) but you could goto D:\3dsmax5\plugcfg\Vray.cfg file and change the setting to you usual settings so when you save, the render dialog should reset to the settings you want. Like I said don't know if it will work but should.

Comment

Seems kind of silly! I can see it in the free version but my demo expires in a month. I'm trying to get a handle on this thing to see if it's worth the money and if I can't tinker with the settings and go by trial and error I probably won't buy it because I will not have figured it out by the time the demo expires?? Can you say "myopic"!?

I downloaded the free version but couldn't get it to work. Does it have GI? That's really all I'm looking for right at the moment! VIZ's GI is too clunky and I have so many materials and bmps made up already I'd have to redo them all. Not to mention the render times are pretty long.

Thanks to all for the responses.

Regards Peter!

Comment

VRAY Free has GI, Suitable for Stills since it does not include caching of the IMAP. It has 6 presets and a limited numebr of controls you can change.
            Cheers
            Mike K
            Two heads are better than one ...
            ....but some head is better than none.....

Comment

Use the presets with vray demo. You can save all your settings into presets, so before you save your scene, just save a preset first, then save the scene and reload the preset. Ok it's not as easy as it would be in the full version, but I think you don't have reason to complain about this demo as it has all the features of the full, it's perfect to evaluate the sotware.

There are a few things that the preset doesn't save, like maps in your override slots, so you'll have to drag them back onto these slots (if you use maps there of course). Also if you use exponential mapping, and reload the saved preset, it will always go back to linear.

Try finalrender or brazil demo, oh wait, they don't have one! So be glad with your very little limited vray demo! You even get the newest build every couple of months!

(brazil had a public test version, but this is what they say already from the first time I went there:
              Brazil Rendering System Public Test
              Temporarily Offline
              Our apologies for any inconvenience - we'll have something back online ASAP.

This message is at least there for 1 year!)
              Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

Unfortunately, the Demo version can save presets but it cannot load them: nothing happens when you click the Load button
                I still don't know whether it's a bug to be reported, or a feature of the Demo

Comment

Originally posted by flipside
                  (brazil had a public test version, but this is what they say already from the first time I went there:
                  Temporarily Offline

Yeah, I know... It tells you something about the way they treat potentional customers

Comment

Yes it works, you have to select a name in your preset list and then hit load, and all settings change. It works here!
                    Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

I tried my best to make it work but it doesn't.

I loaded one of my VRay scenes into MAX. All settings are reset by default, of course.

I set several settings: set AA to Adaptive subdivision, turned on GI, set Max rate to -1, turned both Show calc. phase and Show direct light on. I also changed the Skylight color to white and the skylight Multiplier to 0.5. I turned VRay log/Show window off.

Then I open the Presets window and saved the preset as MySettings. I hit the Save button. At this point, the settings really ARE physically written into the file vray.cfg. Alright.

Then I restarted MAX and loaded the same scene again. I opened the VRay presets window, chose the MySettings preset from the list and hit the Load button.
                      The only setting that changed after that was the AA. All the other settings (GI, skylight, logging) stay untouched.

I'm using MAX 4.25 on WinXP.
                      Any ideas?

Comment

pshupe >>
                        well man, vray free is a very valuable and great gift for the community, you know when you select, the current renderer vray free you will get a bunch of new dropdown menu, and there is one called. "Indirect illumination (GI)" There you'll find it...

Comment

Dusan, I have no idea why this happens, it works perfect here... I'm using max 5.

Comment

Originally posted by pshupe
                            I probably won't buy it because I will not have figured it out by the time the demo expires?? Can you say "myopic"!?
                            Hi Peter,

Demo will expire, but soon enough a new one with a new expiration date will be posted!

No excuses not to be able to figure out how it all works

+ if you come here you'll have all the support and knowledge of the people of the forum, which is huge (both their knowledge and supportivity)

Cheers!

Fermí Bertran

Comment

Originally posted by Dusan_Pavlicek
                              Originally posted by flipside
                              Temporarily Offline

Yeah, I know... It tells you something about the way they treat potentional customers
                              The public test is still available for download from Splutterfish. Go here and it tells you where to get it from (third paragraph of "Where we are now"). If you are interested in purchasing Brazil you just email them and they set you up with a 30-day (100% functional) trial.

Vray has faster GI and actual motion blur but it sounds like you wanted it for GI only. So Vray should be just fine...but *cough* floating licenses would be nice *cough*

-Victor

Comment

Working...
                              X