Distributed Single Frame Rendering & Vray versions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributed Single Frame Rendering & Vray versions

I've been looking for a rendering solution for distributing single, high resolution frames to render over a network. From the topics I've seen in this forum it looks as though VRay will do this, while (I hope) remaining compatible with the third party materials I sometimes use (unlike Mental Ray).

What I can't quite tell is which VRay version(s) offer this type of bucket rendering. Could somebody tell me?

Also it is important to me that my existing materials work well, including, for example, Worley Labs' "Essential Textures" from Digimation. Is there pretty good compatability with other plugins like this?

Welcome to this forum Bradley, Vray have distributed rendering, and as far as I know should work with most 3rd party texture plugins..

Are you the same Bradley who did a lot of really nice Amiga artwork a looong time ago? Really loved it, would be cool to see some of it again, but I couldnt find it on your website..

-Tom

Comment

Small world!

Yes, that is me. What an amazingly small world.

All my most recent & interesting work is at my online store, in my sig below; my main site's right here. Some of that old Amiga work is still there, or there again, or something.

I guess what I was wondering is whether you can render "buckets" with a.) Advanced VRay (well, I guess this is a yes), b.) Basic VRay, or even c.) VRay Free, which I'm not sure even exists anymore.

Comment

I browsed through that site too, but couldnt find my "favorites", the ones I remember most vividly, are the ones printed in AmigaWorld in the good old days..

-Tom

Comment

Brad, check out chaoticdimension or VRay.info, but I think you'll find DR is for advanced only. af far as thirdParty plugs, I haven't had any worrys so far. (oh except for RPC with was a headache but got there in the end)

Comment

bradley:
            vray cannot do what you want. when you use DR, your image size is limited. you cannot DR-render a really large single frame.
            maybe you should get the max design extension. it has the ability to split the image in multiple regions, have them rendered as normal netrender-jobs and then reassemble the parts. you may as well do that "by hand".

andré

Comment

Originally posted by andre
              bradley:
              vray cannot do what you want. when you use DR, your image size is limited.
              Really? There is an image size limitation? This is the first time I know of this... What is the size limitation? I have gotten 6K + images with distributed rendering.

Comment

i couldnt render anything bigger then about 4400x3300. there was another thread about this, and i think vlado stated that memory consumption was the main reason for this. anyway, from my experience a "distributed" region render can be significantely faster than "true" DR.

andre

Comment

i can second this. i normaly split up the picture into 4 pieces (blowup region). then i give each machine one piece to calculate the irrandinace map and render the picture. then i combine the pieces in photoshop. vray works so clean you can´t see a border. works great.

Comment

haha we got you beat andre we rendered out 4600X3450
                    Actually this thread was very helpful because we were having trouble with the same issue and splitting up the image that way seems to be working so far. Thanks to all that post !!! The hardest thing is always typing in the right thing in the search engine to find the thread you need.

Comment

congratulation!
                      my workaround is simple: just don´t render that big.
                      resize it in photoshop, add a little noise on top, never heard a client complaining.

andre

Comment

hmmm...vlado can you weigh in on this? Does the new builds DR overcome this disability?

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Working...
                        X