Vray mats take longer to render?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray mats take longer to render?

Can anyone explain why Vray materials take longer to render than standard max materials? I would have thought it would be the other way about

Craig

Well I ve experience the other way around, Vray materials are at least 3 times faster then standart materials...

Gonçalo

Comment

Really? Thats wierd... everyone else think the same?

Comment

no, I doubt anyone else thinks the same. Except if you set translucyency, glossy (both for refl/refr) then its true vraymat slightly slower then the standard mat.

Comment

Hmmm wierd you are correct... something really funny must have been happening to my machine because vray mats seemed to render slower when I tried before

Thanks!

Craig

Comment

Comment

We are axperiencing immediate slowdowns with vray (whatever the mat is, standard or vraymat) when using bitmaps. Probably because of the filtering and AA. Most of times, you can cut into that or set it more efficiently.

Else, you'll probably notice speed-ups by using simple vraymats whith vray refract/reflects (without too much subdivs and/or depth).
              In many cases, such as for far glasses or surfaces, you won't need more than :
              - 2 to 5 subdivs + 1 or 2 depths for reflection
              - 2 to 5subdivs + 3 depths in refraction (no refractive volumes overlaping in that case, or set a good exit color). 5 will work fine if you've got a recipient. You'll need to set it higher if there's volume inside. Higher again if there are other volumes saw thru.

I'm not saying that these settings will work for prints or close-ups but in many cases, it has done the job for me.

Comment

I find Vray-mats a lot faster when photon mapping

Sorry, couldn't resist, been experimenting with photons all afternoon

Comment

Working...
                X