Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost giving up on VRay...

Hi,
    I am reaching the point where I have to give up onVRay, after initial enthousiasm.
    After 6 months I still don't know how to make translucency work (absorption only works when rendering Richard Rosenman's tutorial file. If I try to set up my own scene it invariably fails).
    Equally: using VRay Material produces cruel results like a dull sphere that has VRay map refraction in the Refraction Map channel, no reflections with Vray map in the Reflection map channel and so on.
    The only option left to me to create glass-like effects is putting VRay Map in the Refraction slot of a standard material, for which I can not control IOR.
    Examples in the "manual" are vague and start of at a point where I am lost already. Never a step by step instruction, merely an exposé of buttons that should control something but never do when you need it. This is precisely the objection I had to finalRender: stunning results apparently only accessible to Edwin Braun and Thomas Suurland or so.
    Once a plug in starts giving me the feeling that I am the only idiot amidst all sorts of clever guys I want to turn away from it. If I have to post question after question to keep my work going I really start asking myself why I put my money in the wrong option.
    Roy

The lack of a proper manual is a major problem, I admit. I don't understand why the VRay guys are adding new features to VRay instead of working hard on a good reference manual. I believe this can really put off a lot of people like yourself.
    On the other hand, it's hard for me to believe that even with the help of this forum, sites like vray.info etc., you still are unable to create a basic glass material...

It's simple: in the Material editor, create a default VRay material (VRayMtl). Go to the Basic parameters rollout. Set Diffuse color to black, Reflect color to dark grey, and Refract color to white. Set IOR too if you need. Voila, you have a simple glass material!

Comment

I agree with Dusan that the lack of an up to date manual is an issue. But I also understand when a software package is still dynamic, aka still changing, it is also hard to have a manual. I always hated writing tech manuals when I had to. As for your dull sphere if you can post and or e-mail an image or the file I am sure someone should be able to help. The knowledge base if fairly deep.

Yes there are some people that a few mouse clicks and a few keystrokes and it’s an image of beauty. I am not one of them. I do the tutorials and they work great then I freelance it and it looks lousy. The biggest issue is size. Remember the some of the parameters in a VRay material are size dependent. Generic units vs. Scale units. So you have to be mindful of that issue. Then I set something to be reflective and I forget to give it something to reflect. Spent 2 hours on that once.

So don’t give up the ship yet and remember FR, Brazil and so on will have some issue you would have to deal with. I don’t know if that helped.

JoeD

Comment

Hi,
        I did exactly what you suggested, with IOR set to 1.3. I have a plane, a "glass" sphere, and a box placed half inside the "glass" sphere. The result...... a sphere with a dark grey ball in the middle, fat black outline, box not visible inside sphere, faint blurry reflection on the sphere.
        Of course I am missing some other important thing. I suspect that after having cleared what I am now not aware of some other problem will pop up.....

Comment

try the video tutorials on www.evermotion.org
          The easiest way to learn.

Comment

how does one attach an image to a reply?

Comment

hi Roy
              post us a scene and well sort you out im sure.
              its not hard ..... you just need to understand the basic's of vray.

Natty
              Natty
              http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

The sun is not shining on me:
                I went to the site with free video's:
                their bandwidth is so poor that it would take me over 4 hours to download just one of those (5MB)

Comment

Hello Roy,

This is my test image. A few mouse clicks and a few keystrokes and a thing of beauty.

I can send you the max 5 file if you want.

JoeD

Comment

Roy,
                    try using the mirror files. These are faster (88KBps sustained here)
                    What version of vray are you using?

Comment

Also you can download some vray materials here:
                      http://www.osmosis.com.au/info/downloads.htm

There are more materials (from Gonçalo, i think) but i don't remember the link

Comment

Hi Marina,
                        How or where do I find "mirror files"?
                        Donde o como puedo encontrarles?
                        Roy

Comment

In the gifts section of evermotion, use the Daniel Hackman's links
                          Vamos, que uses los links de Daniel Hackman, que van estupendos
                          Salu2

Comment

Ahora si!
                            Got it!
                            Thanks/Gracias marina

Comment

De nada

Comment

Working...
                              X