Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• canvas cloth material

Hi all,
    I was wondering what would be the best way to create a cloth material. I will be using it in an architectural rendering for a portion of overhead stretched canvas material. I thought simply make the diffuse whitish, reflect black, refract 30-40% gray, IOR 1.0? Any other suggestions?

see picture for better explaination. WIP

---edit images taken down for webspace----

Comment

I would try putting some texture on it. Not sure what kind of fabric you had in mind, but I imagine cloth would be more translucent than transparent (unless you are aiming for some kind of clear material). The one in your image looks more like a piece of solid glass, so I would tone down the transparency. Perhaps glossy refraction might do the trick, as the light going through surface is going to be penetrating only through tiny holes in the cloth pattern, which ought to blur the objects on the other side a bit.

Also, I imagine there should be some wrinkles and folds at some spots. How is the cloth stretched? if it's not stretched ultra tight, then you might see a slight arch in shape, rather than being perfectly straight. Even if it's straight along the edges due to high tension, it probably will deform over time in the central area due to weight, rain, etc.

Just some thoughts.

Comment

I would use a good tileable canvas photo in the diffuse slot and a high contrast, grayscale version of the same image in the refraction slot. Using a low value for the map slot, dark grey in the refraction color box and around .5 glossiness (make sure to set the subdivisions to 3 or use interpolation). For the final touch I would enable translucency with probably a .5 fwrd/bck and high scattering.
        Eric Boer
        Dev

Comment

will transluceny work if it's just a plane (no thickness). Otherwise I will have to give it thickness.

Thanks for the suggestions fellas!

I'll repost later...

Comment

Yes it needs thickness, otherwise it won't work. There's a cool plugin called solidify that can help you do this.
            Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

Working...
            X