skylight Portal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skylight Portal

What is skylight portal used for on the vraylight? I have noticed people putting vray lights in window openings.....Why?

it helps the light get distributed around the inside of the room.

Generally if you put a skylight portal in a window, you can turn the skyilght up to about 10 and just use the skylight portal as your only light source...can work quite nicely.

Comment

But.. Is there any real advantage to doing it this way as opposed to just using a normal VrayLight?
      Dave Buchhofer. // Vsaiwrk

Comment

Often wondered that my self. Seems like the last time I compared the two
        (and it was quite some time ago) the skylight portal took longer to render.
        Need to revisit this and find out.
        "It's the rebels sir....They're here..."

Comment

Im not sure of the advantages/disadvantages of either methods, as i am still quite new to the skylight portal thing myself.

Comment

skylight

this might be a stupid question. Does the skylight portal need to be placed in an opening in the gemoetry, like a opening in a wall or ceiling, so it has direct access to the environment? will a portal work if placed under a ceiling?

Comment

good question, im not 100% sure, but i am pretty sure it has to be place at an opening so the skylight can get to it. i will test and find out.

Comment

its seems to work no matter where you put it. as long as you have a hole for the skylight to come thru.

Comment

I know in the testing I've done, portals are definitely slower to render than vray plain lights at the same settings.

I don't know why, however!

Tony

Comment

the sky light will focus the environment (Override max's env.) You have to place them in an opening and hide the glass objects. calc the Irradmap, render final with "Irradiance map" From file. obviosly you can't use environment in animation, unless it's a pre-calced walkthrough.

Comment

It seems that when i turn on the skylight portal it will grey out all other fields in the light parameters. So how do you control the multiplier, or the intensity of the light? Or do you set the desired multiplier to the light before turning on skylight portal.

Comment

i has no self control... it only lets the environment light in... so edit the environment.

regards,
                        bakbek.
                        sigpic

Comment

Thanks Guys!

Comment

Working...
                          X