No announcement yet.

Lampshade Material Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey ezg. I had checked it. I noticed that your file had wall thickness. Guess I could've gotten away with using the wax material and wrapping it like rerender had mentioned. Right now im on the warpath to try to figure out how to get translucency to work in my latest render. This is the same mat rerender used- but its not working properly. worse case scenario- ill got with your settings.

-jujubee
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

bubujee

a few things were a problem in your file.
      1. no GI, you need this to get what you want.
      2. the shade wasn't solid. It had thickness, but had holes in the top and bottom. I replaced it with a tapered tube object.

Here is a quick test:

and the scene:
      http://vray.info/assets/egz/basiclamp.zip
      Torgeir Holm | www.netronfilm.com

Comment

thanks ez but I was attempting to use rerenders method this go around as his lamp looked more realistic with the vraymat instead of the beta wax.

Comment

bubjee,

the same issues apply to his material as well (it needs the same conditions as the wax to render correctly).
          Torgeir Holm | www.netronfilm.com

Comment

Ok- I think this is the final solution. EZG was kind enough to show me what I had wrong settings-wise. The mat Rerender provided had the translucency fog set to 0. All it needed was one bump up and it was fine. Made me feel real stupid- 6 hours later- doh!!!!! I'll hang my head in shame from this forum from now on...

p.s. - if you read this far you've read too far enough...

juju

Comment

I had to try allso;
              Daniel Westlund

Comment

that's pretty cool roppin- solid wax?

Comment

roppin that looks good could post the scene or some settings,
                  regards
                  Hughg

Comment

here´s the file

http://www.roppin.com/images/skarm01.max
                    Daniel Westlund

Comment

cheers

Hughg

Comment

Originally posted by jujubee
                        Ok- I think this is the final solution. EZG was kind enough to show me what I had wrong settings-wise. The mat Rerender provided had the translucency fog set to 0. All it needed was one bump up and it was fine. Made me feel real stupid- 6 hours later- doh!!!!! I'll hang my head in shame from this forum from now on...

p.s. - if you read this far you've read too far enough...

juju
                        You sure it was the fog ? or did you change a few things at the same time?
                        Anyways glad you got it to work
                        Eric Boer
                        Dev

Comment

It was the only numerical value I didnt think to change in the past 6 hours...

Comment

hmmm is it just me ? because none of these scenes look right.
                            I was looking around in my roomlit by one lamp last night and the was alot more diffused light in the room.
                            Hey i'm completely new to this but I think there is still work to be done on this topic.

Comment

Originally posted by violater
                              hmmm is it just me ? because none of these scenes look right.
                              I was looking around in my roomlit by one lamp last night and the was alot more diffused light in the room.
                              Hey i'm completely new to this but I think there is still work to be done on this topic.
                              LOL
                              Eric Boer
                              Dev

Comment

Violater- I definitely think you're right about them still looking a little unrealistic. But you have to figure that every lamp shade is going to have some different materials, thickness, color, translucency, and reflectivity. It's not as easy as it looks. Give it a try. Plus you have to factor in how much time you're willing to render out a scene. I wish there was a quicker way- a preset material of some sorts that was the magic bullet. Feel free to post some more results if you think you can improve upon our results. This has been a great topic IMHO. I'm sure we would all enjoy a good lesson or two. Especially if someone can find some sort of shortcut that also speeds up render times!

As for the diffusion of the shade which you had mentioned, you can bump up the vraywrapper for diffuse channels only so much before it becomes overbright on the vraymat- the falloff just doesn't look right. Currently, I'm rendering out my scene now and will post some results.

-juju

Comment

Working...
                                X