Network rendering - Single Frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network rendering - Single Frame?

I'm just curious about this- can you render out a single frame using two machines to work on the same scene? I'm not much of an animator- and I know the max network rendering system alllows multiple machines (slaves) to render out independent frames which you have to piece together later- but I'm just wondering if there's a way in vray to have multiple machines process a single image thus cutting down rendering time for a single frame.

-juju
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

re

Yes...this is how vray's DR works.
    Indecisive archictects will be the death of us all.

Comment

Thanks for the simple info. I wish I had known this before. That was the main reason why I was disappointed with backburner.

Comment

Maybe a good reason to go too Max 6 too, "net region render"
        Eric Boer
        Dev

Comment

hehe Viz4 have alredy this...

Comment

Originally posted by GoncaloP
            hehe to bad viz 5 won't

-dave
            Cheers,
            -dave
            â–  ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X â–  ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX â–  ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX â–  GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX â–  ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k â– 

Comment

Originally posted by Syclone1
              Originally posted by GoncaloP
              hehe to bad viz 5 won't

-dave
              Ok I will keep with 4

Comment

Why would they take away something so useful? Does it have that many problems?

Comment

In max 5 net region render is present in cd2. It's an script called "Macro_RNR202.mcr"

Regards

Comment

oh god. I would've never figured that to be a separate script... Nice help files Max has on this.

Comment

Ok- I read all the articles in this fourm on Vray DR and I have several questions I couldn't find answers to. I am familiar with setting up backburner so I'm not completely clueless when it comes to network rendering. In this particular scenario, I have NOT set up backburner. is this necessary? Here's what I've done so far. I was hoping someone would be kind enough to tell me if my settings look messed up.

1) Installed all plugins across machines. Setup is basically identical.

2) Set up a 'transfer' folder that's shared out across the local network- i.e. "\compname\transfer"

3) Installed Spawners on machines. Set them as services. Directories set to folowing:

a. Spawner Temp Directory: \\compname\transfer
                      b. App Exe.: c:\3dsmax5\3dsmax.exe
                      c. VraySpawner Dir (normally the same as Max/Viz Folder): c:\3dsmax5

4) Ok so this being set up identical on all machines- I'm not too positive about the spawner temp directory (3a). Should this be local?

5) Then when I launch Max on one machine- do I need it to be open on the others? This is not the case with backburner. I take it that you don't need it open cause that's why it is a service...

6) I selected the scene on the main machine. ALL my materials/scene files are located in one folder on the desktop for this particular project. I realize it's a pretty bad habit. Does this need to be moved to the 'transfer' folder? Or is it smart enough to 'pull' from this directory. It would be a pain to have to move a directory over to a shared location every single time. I'm also wondering how DR is going to handle the materials as well as the HDRI map.

7) Set Max to Vray as the current renderer: System\Distributed Rendering. Click on settings. Now I add all servers or is there only one- the main machine needed? My search doesn't pull up anything. So what I've done is entered IPs through add server. They pull up and show themselves as "disabled." I enable them. I clicked on them and hit "resolve." The names now pull up. The comp icons are green.

"Auto-management" is checked on to 'promote new servers.' Leave bucket label is NOT checked (I have no clue what either one of these does but I'd like to.)

9) I don't know what to do with the following in the settings as I had thought I set these up through the wizard:

a) Projects Directory: c:\DOCUME~1\LOCALS\~1\Temp (default) - browse button can be activated. does this need to be set up to the same as step 3a?

b) Network directory: (blank)- browse unselectable

c) MAX directory: (blank)- browse unselectable.

I activate the DR checkbox. So then I hit 'render'- it pulls up a preview window and it just hangs blank. I see nothing happening. I run over to the other computer and nothing is happening on the screen (I mention that Max hasn't been started on this comp MAX hasn't been started.)

Apologies for asking so many questions but I think I am being very thourough as to my steps. I haven't seen anything too detailed about a proper setup in this forum (I've read through all of them.) It's usually abbreviated or people run into issues with their settings. It's all a little bit confusing path-wise. Are there any other external settings in the main render scene dialog that I should switch on?

-jujubee

Comment

Anyone? I think it's installed fine. I resaved the dummy file for max 5.1. I'm just not too sure about my paths- nor am I sure whether backburner neeeds to be installed too.

-juju

Comment

have you looked at this thread:
                          http://www.chaoticdimension.com/foru...pic.php?t=2477
                          sigpic

Vu Nguyen
                          -------------------------
                          www.loftanimation.com.au

Comment

-i think the spawner temp directory should be local, because i assume each server has to make a copy of the file. Did you try that way?

- its not necessary to open max on slaves, just the open the spawner on all machines( if you installed it as a standalone) including the one where you run max

-you don't need to run backburner in order to use vray's DR, in this case you will have the machines rendering different regions of the same frame.

marq

Comment

I really appreciate the response. I've looked at it about 7 times now lol as well as read every other thread about DR a good 3 times over. Read through the manual. I've also done an extensive search on the web and have come up blank for solving this problem.

I did some more tests- I can see that my main comp is processing the pre-passes. Eventually it goes into image render mode but only renders from the main computer. I can still see the other comps (slaves) listed in the vray network settings. The slaves go from idle directly to finished once the main prepass finishes- there is no pre-pass occuring with them nor do they stamp out the scene- hence the really don't appear to be doing anything.

If I change the mode from 'single frame' to 'bucket', it stamps the buckets with only the main computer's IP Address. The slaves IP's do not show up in the image.

Comment

Working...
                              X