Photon Mapping Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photon Mapping Problem

I tried to use photon mapping on this project. I followed Vlado's tutorial on vray.info and did cut my render times in half. The only problem is that the images I used photon mapping for are much darker than those using irradience mapping. See below...
    Irradience Mapping

Photon Mapping

Has anyone else experienced this? My settings for the first image are VRay's Medium preset. For the second image I simply switched secondary bounces to photon mapping and left the settings as default.
    Dan Brew

re

Make sure you have convert to iraddiance map checked under the Global Photons group, and Global photon map checked in Secondary bounces under the Indirect Illumination(GI) group. The idea is to use the two in conjuction.

Once you've calculated the photons by themselves (this means that both global photon maps should be checked under Indirect Ill (gi) through the first run. save the global photon make and do what was mentioned above.
    Things should light up more.

hope this helps alitttle

STCP
    Indecisive archictects will be the death of us all.

Comment

Re: re

Originally posted by shytigercp
      Make sure you have convert to iraddiance map checked under the Global Photons group, and Global photon map checked in Secondary bounces under the Indirect Illumination(GI) group. The idea is to use the two in conjuction.

Once you've calculated the photons by themselves (this means that both global photon maps should be checked under Indirect Ill (gi) through the first run. save the global photon make and do what was mentioned above.
      Things should light up more.

hope this helps alitttle

STCP
      so is it always a two time rendering steps - you have to render twice basically every time??

Comment

Thanks for the tips STCP. I made a mistake in the original message, I did check the 'convert to irradience map' box. I will try the way you suggested, but I, like cocolas, thought that this could be a one stage process.
        Dan Brew

Comment

Working...
        X