Photon maps and material wrapper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photon maps and material wrapper?

If I apply a material wrapper to standard max or simbiont shaders will photon mapping work? Please say yes!!

Tony

why dont you try out? takes a minute to set up such scene.
    otherwise as far as I know photonmapping works only with vraymaterial.

Comment

I gave it a try but I really did not see much of an improvement in time even with all vray materials. I thought I was doing something wrong!

I did the tutorial by vlado but the render times were only about 10% faster using all vray materials with photon mapping versus standard secondary bounces on my machine. And that varied each time I rendered the same exact scene. This is with the demo version m.

I've noticed some very strange render times since updating to m. One time it took 8:33 seconds to render the sample scene and the next time it took 3:20 seconds. Very strange and it concerns me a great deal since I want to purchase the full version next week.

athlon 3200 XP
      1 gig of ram
      Win 2000 sp4
      MAX 5.1

Tony

Comment

don't know what makes rendertime fluctuating, I never had such issue(demo) maybe the demo scene is made by some older versions and there is some incompatibility? Dont know.
        But vraymat could be faster over standard especially when reflections/refractions are there, but on pure gi also. And even 10%/frame could be a huge advantages in animation...

Comment

Currently photon mapping works only with VRay materials. It will not work with Standard or other materials even if they are inside a VRayMtlWrapper.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
          X