Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is best way to proxy repeating geometry with different UVW Mapping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is best way to proxy repeating geometry with different UVW Mapping?

I have the same geometry repeating 12 times but all has different UV coordinates of the same material.
    What is the correct memory-wise pipeline?

Will applying UVWMapping after turning into proxy kill the benefits of being proxy?
    for my blog and tutorials:
    www.alfasmyrna.com

I'm pretty sure you can't add UVW modifier to a proxy without destroying it, at least that's what happened when I tried it..

If its possible the best way would be to create 12 versions of the material and shift the UVW co-ordinates within the materials themselves using the co-ordinate offset/tiling/rotation parameters in the material editor. Of course this will only work if all the objects have the same type of mapping e.g. box or planar and not a mixture of different types.

Comment

what about the UVW Xform modifier instead?
      Sean MacNintch

Comment

Nope, no modifiers at all. If the objects have similar mapping, adjusting the texture parameters like Pictor2 suggested might work best. Other than that, you can put the different mappings in different UVW channels - this will work as well.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks for the replies
          www.alfasmyrna.com

Comment

why dont you collapse the 12 objects to a single proxy instead of 12 proxies?
            Marc Lorenz
            ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
            www.marclorenz.com
            www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
              Nope, no modifiers at all. If the objects have similar mapping, adjusting the texture parameters like Pictor2 suggested might work best. Other than that, you can put the different mappings in different UVW channels - this will work as well.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              As usual...Vlado has the best advice!!

Remember max can load up to 99 UV channels....so just save 12 different UV maps into 12 different UVW channels of your model.. Then just set up a multi sub with 12 materials with 12 different UVW channels .

Comment

These are some great suggestions!

My question would be how much of a memory impact would 12 UVW Channels have on a single object? Especially in a fairly complex scene?

Or is there a way to figure out what the memory usage would be?
                Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
                Midwest Studios

Comment

Originally posted by 3DMK View Post
                  As usual...Vlado has the best advice!!

Remember max can load up to 99 UV channels....so just save 12 different UV maps into 12 different UVW channels of your model.. Then just set up a multi sub with 12 materials with 12 different UVW channels .
                  Yes...
                  When we make 12 different variations of the same material,(and of course UVW channels) will this have impact on memory too?Is this an ignorable low amount compared to the load 12 meshes sharing same material would bring?
                  www.alfasmyrna.com

Comment

Originally posted by pixela View Post
                    Yes...
                    When we make 12 different variations of the same material,(and of course UVW channels) will this have impact on memory too?Is this an ignorable low amount compared to the load 12 meshes sharing same material would bring?
                    To find out how much memory the UVW channel is using go to TOOLS-Channel info. This will tell you the exact size of all UVW channels in your mesh. Just multiply the UVW size by 12 to see how much it will add. It will still be much more efficient than loading 12 different models as that way you will end up with 12 meshes & 12 uvw's where as if you use only channels you get one mesh & 12 uvw channels.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by 3DMK View Post
                      To find out how much memory the UVW channel is using go to TOOLS-Channel info. This will tell you the exact size of all UVW channels in your mesh. Just multiply the UVW size by 12 to see how much it will add. It will still be much more efficient than loading 12 different models as that way you will end up with 12 meshes & 12 uvw's where as if you use only channels you get one mesh & 12 uvw channels.

Cheers

Thank you =) I didnt know this tool before! I think this is very useful.
                      www.alfasmyrna.com

Comment

Originally posted by pixela View Post
                        Thank you =) I didnt know this tool before! I think this is very useful.
                        You can even copy & paste UVW channels from one mesh to another with this tool.

Comment

Working...
                        X