Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor Reccomendations

Hi All,

Does anyone have a good recommendation on monitors (brands, specs)? I'm looking for something that calibrates easily . The primary work done on it would be post production on rendering work.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike
    Mike Henry
    http://mhenry.cgsociety.org/gallery/

I don't have a specific recommendation just make sure you get one with a good viewing angle, the screen I have look different and almost every angle and it's really hard to show my work when everyone sees something different.

Comment

Thanks Devin.

I was checking out Dells line of monitors and they have an UltraSharp (U2211H) monitor which features an IPS panel type (anti glare with hard coat).

Does anyone have the above said monitor? Is it worth the $279?

Mike
      Mike Henry
      http://mhenry.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Comment

I have that monitor. It is very nice. I'm not crazy about the aspect ratio though. Next time around I would get the 2007FP. Too bad it's $100 more. Just my preference.

Comment

i would go for Eizo for my next monitor, a little expensive, but blacks and colors are incredible and 10-bit colors (or was it 14?) !

Comment

I always recommend the Dell U2711. It's the best affordable monitor you can get. You will need the resolution.
            1920x1080 gets quickly cramped, especially with 3dsmax.
            Marc Lorenz
            ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
            www.marclorenz.com
            www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

I'm also big DELL monitors fan!
              Luke Szeflinski
              :: www.lukx.com cgi

Comment

I'm happy with my dell monitors too.
                I' have 3 of them on my workstation.
                and i use SpiderPro to calibrate them in different way .

I calibrate 1 in NTSC to work on movies
                1 other is AdobeRGB for print
                and the third is sRGB for web pictures and movies.
                GHiOM = Guillaume Gaillard
                freelance 3D artist
                www.ghiom.com

Comment

Originally posted by muoto View Post
                  i would go for Eizo for my next monitor
                  I second that, I've been working on a color edge for a few years now and it's amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by plastic_ View Post
                    I always recommend the Dell U2711. It's the best affordable monitor you can get.
                    We've just bought a couple of these and I'm really impressed. Colours & clarifty are very good, especially for the price.

There is one major problem with them though. There is a tiny LED above the power button that lights up whenever you move your hand near it, the problem is I cannot stop waving my finger at it!
                    MDI Digital
                    moonjam

Comment

i would always recommend NEC. we like our nec 2690wuxi2´s at the office very much but i think they are kind of an discontinued model. but as marc already said, you will probably want more resolution for 3dsmax. btw, we bought the normal models back then, not the spectraviews, and upgraded them later with the spectraview II software to be able to hardware-calibrate them.

the new series is called PA and features a 27" highres model named PA271w which is supposed to perform amazing. but beware, with the new PA series you only get good calibration results with the nec spectraview calibration bundle because of the spectrum of the background lightning with the wide gamut. the kit features the spectraview II software and a calibration mouse with a special correction curve modification for nec models.

the sad thing is that the easy upgrade is only available in the US, in europe they want to sell you the spectraview models in the first place (which is the normal model plus hand picked displays and a calibration software in the box) and they bundle it with another calibration software which does not enable you to hardware-calibrate the normal non spectraview models. although the above mentioned spectraview II software does work with every model, so this is what we use, but it´s kind of hard to get in europe because it´s normally sold only in the states...

best regards,

christoph.

christoph koehler
                      -----------------------------------------------------
                      cy architecturevisualization.
                      www.cy-architecture.com
                      visit us on facebook!
                      www.facebook.com/cyarchitecturevisualization

Comment

Originally posted by greysheep5 View Post
                        i would always recommend NEC. we like our nec 2690wuxi2´s at the office very much but i think they are kind of an discontinued model. but as marc already said, you will probably want more resolution for 3dsmax. btw, we bought the normal models back then, not the spectraviews, and upgraded them later with the spectraview II software to be able to hardware-calibrate them.

the new series is called PA and features a 27" highres model named PA271w which is supposed to perform amazing. but beware, with the new PA series you only get good calibration results with the nec spectraview calibration bundle because of the spectrum of the background lightning with the wide gamut. the kit features the spectraview II software and a calibration mouse with a special correction curve modification for nec models.

the sad thing is that the easy upgrade is only available in the US, in europe they want to sell you the spectraview models in the first place (which is the normal model plus hand picked displays and a calibration software in the box) and they bundle it with another calibration software which does not enable you to hardware-calibrate the normal non spectraview models. although the above mentioned spectraview II software does work with every model, so this is what we use, but it´s kind of hard to get in europe because it´s normally sold only in the states...

best regards,

christoph.
                        Oh my... I went through hell with NEC few years ago. I wanted to buy 24 inch monitor and decided to go with NEC. After delivery there were 3 or more dead pixels (it was high end model) I had huge fight to return this crap and get my money back.
                        And at the and I ordered two DELLS 24" with 0 dead pixel policy (which dell is famous for) , saved money and still using them . So my final word is choose monitor with "0 DEAD PIXEL POLICY"
                        Luke Szeflinski
                        :: www.lukx.com cgi

Comment

What do you think about the "HP LP2475w" ?
                          I'm about to buy this one but I read here and there that Dell monitors are great...
                          (Sorry for my bad english)

Comment

Originally posted by lukx View Post
                            Oh my... I went through hell with NEC few years ago. I wanted to buy 24 inch monitor and decided to go with NEC. After delivery there were 3 or more dead pixels (it was high end model) I had huge fight to return this crap and get my money back.
                            And at the and I ordered two DELLS 24" with 0 dead pixel policy (which dell is famous for) , saved money and still using them . So my final word is choose monitor with "0 DEAD PIXEL POLICY"
                            well, that´s back luck i guess! sounds like a not so nice experience. but, other companys like eizo also don´t have a zero dead pixel policy as far as i know, and they both (nec and eizo) are regarded as high end graphics and design monitors with high color accuracy, of course if you choose the right model. but it depends on how important ultimate color accuracy, maybe different switchable calibration targets and things like homogenous lightning over the full panel are for you. not to say dells are bad, i think they are awesome, but in their own league probably. of course it isn´t set in stone that you have more productivity and fun with a monitor costing you the double or triple amount as another one. and most of those high end graphics models don´t even have usb ports, multiple inputs and all this other useful stuff, i know.

regarding the hp 2475w, a colleague which is sharing the office with us has one and is happy with it, but i don´t know much more about it.

best regards,

christoph.

christoph koehler
                            cy architecturevisualization.
                            www.cy-architecture.com
                            visit us on facebook!
                            www.facebook.com/cyarchitecturevisualization

Comment

I went bananas last year and got the Dell 30" IPS as my primary. Its unreal. I use a GTX470 card and its a joy having so much room for all of my toolbars in Max. Its not cheap however.
                              • Dual 3.47 ghz Hex Core Xeon CPUs; 96GB Ram; SSD Drive; 3dsMax 2020; V-Ray; Sketchup 2020
                              • Love these Plugin/Scripts: ForestPro, RailclonePro, Soulburner, Populate Terrain

Comment

Working...
                              X