Where is vray mtl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is vray mtl

I just switched from max 9 to max 11 and am forced to use the new mtl editor. I see vray materials but no "Vray mtl" like there was in max 9. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    BTW, is there some way to get me back to the old editor? This one takes up too much screen space.

From the Modes drop-down in material editor, select Compact Material Editor.

Comment

Got it. Thanks.
      But where is vray mtl? And why are there only 4 Vray materials available in compact mode when there are 9 vray materials available in expanded mode?
      mh

Comment

if you right click in the slate view, there should appear a menu with different sub menus: materials > vray adv > vraymtl. isn't it there?

Comment

They are just unintuitively sorted. By compatibility to be exact. So even tho a map might be installed with VRay it might still be compatible with scanline/other renderers. The VRay group contains
          only the mats/materials that are compatible ONLY with VRay.

Regards,
          Thorsten

Comment

Originally posted by rivoli View Post
            if you right click in the slate view, there should appear a menu with different sub menus: materials > vray adv > vraymtl. isn't it there?
            Right click i get no vray adv. what i get is Vray fast sss, vray fast sss2, vray light mtl, vray vectorDispBake...nothing else vray.

Comment

Originally posted by instinct View Post
              They are just unintuitively sorted. By compatibility to be exact. So even tho a map might be installed with VRay it might still be compatible with scanline/other renderers. The VRay group contains
              only the mats/materials that are compatible ONLY with VRay.

Regards,
              Thorsten
              So where is Vray mtl? In slate mode, i get everything (8 vray materials) BUT no vray mtl. In compact mode i get only four vray materials but not vray mtl.
              mh

Comment

Can you post a screengrab?

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

here are two screen grabs, compact mode and slate mode.
                  mhClick image for larger version

Name:	slate mode.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	419.9 KB
ID:	844206Click image for larger version

Name:	compact mode.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	341.2 KB
ID:	844207

Comment

Is V-Ray the current renderer? VRayMtl is in its own section, along with the blend material, the fastsss materials etc.

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

OK, i get it. In order to see vray mtl, one has to set vray as the current renderer. Didn't have to do that in max 9.
                      Thanks.
                      mh

Comment

It will also work if you check the "Show incompatible" option - but I think this has always been the case, in all 3ds Max versions.

Best regards,
                        Vlado

Comment

Working...
                        X