• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accessing vray hidden parameters.

Heya

How to access all the parameters of vray like

REFLECTION FIX DOME
    $.dome_visibleOriginal=2

etc etc, I'd like to be able to control stuff like resolution bigger than 2k for dome light maybe specular strenght etc etc. How can I access those parameters?

Thanks.

Scripts:

Fixing Dome Light faced reflections:
    $.dome_visibleOriginal=2

Disabling useless tools for VIZ and non animation workflow:
    timeSlider.setVisible false
    trackbar.visible = false
    Last edited by Dariusz Makowski (Dadal); 16-11-2011, 02:23 PM.
    CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Normally you can find out the parameters of an object by selecting it and typing showproperties $ in the maxscript listener. It'll give you a run down of the objects accessible parameters and you pretty much then use the dollar sign, a dot and the name of the parameter you want to use. So for a light it might be something like $.multiplier - In terms of resolution, what you can also do is open the maxscript listener and under the macrorecorder menu, turn on enable at the top. Then if you leave this window open and play with the spinners of the parameter of what you want to use, it'll give you the code needed to modify this value. Not all parameters support every value though!

Comment

This is a great thread idea. Hopefully we can keep it going, already learned quite a bit. Anyone know of some of the best resources for learning max script? Interested in what some of the die hards here are using.
      Last edited by Deflaminis; 16-11-2011, 01:38 PM.

Comment

I'm not great by any means but you can do an awful lot with a few basics. The standard maxscript listener output by playing with objects, then if you add in a for loop, an if statement and the random command, you can do a huge amount. I'll write out a few bits.

Comment

I've had a lot of fun with this today. Surprising some of the hidden nodes on vray and photometric lights.

Comment

Heya

Wicked ! Started on playing with teh stuff - just little question in dome light the max resolution is 2048 in texture map - if I type $VRayLight001.texmap_resolution = 4000 it's caped at 2048 - how can I uncap it ?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Deflaminis View Post
              This is a great thread idea. Hopefully we can keep it going, already learned quite a bit. Anyone know of some of the best resources for learning max script? Interested in what some of the die hards here are using.
              Maxscript 101 by John Wainwright (one of Maxscript's creators) is a very good starting point. And it has been released for free since a bit (used to be a commercial DVD relase).
              You can find the whole set here:
              http://vimeo.com/album/1514565

R
              egards,
              Thorsten

Comment

Heya

Thanks instinct for help ! Its great video !

Back to script if I script VRayLight and press F1 to it I get 3ds max max script online help thini but no info about vraylight - I guess its because autodesk didnt add vray to it. So how can I find out all the parameters and things that I can find for standard max light ? Or is that what I get when I type showproperties $ - but I cant see what I can change the options in to... :s

Comment

Thanks Thorsten for the heads up!

Dadal what you can do is select the vray light and turn on the maxscript listener. When you change a vray value you'll see the corresponding code appear in the listener, so you'll know that the options are. I'm a noob but it seemed to work pretty well yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by DADAL View Post
                    Wicked ! Started on playing with teh stuff - just little question in dome light the max resolution is 2048 in texture map - if I type $VRayLight001.texmap_resolution = 4000 it's caped at 2048 - how can I uncap it ?
                    It can often be changed but the user interface itself will be locked between a minimum and maximum value so it'll never show you a value beyond what the control can do. The only thing you can do is try it and see if it makes a difference in the render.

Comment

There's a thread about this on the first few pages of the problems forum I believe. Vlado did mention you can override and and supplied some code to do so. I'll look for it when I get a break later (if I do) but you should be able to find it. I think it's in the thread about blocky reflections.

Comment

Working...
                      X