Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which driver is working for Nvidia 580 GTX and Vray ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which driver is working for Nvidia 580 GTX and Vray ?

I am using 580 GTX videocard. I have issues with the drivers ( I suppose so )
    I have strange lags in the viewport and sometimes VFB freeze or material editor window freezes when dragging.

I had one of the older drivers that was compatible with Vray RT but when I had these strange issues, I decided to sacrifce Vray RT and upgraded to the lastest driver.
    My problems still exist.
    So I just wanted to ask about the driver version to people who use 580 GTX.
    Thanks in advance.
    for my blog and tutorials:
    www.alfasmyrna.com

For the V-Ray 2.20 update, V-Ray RT works fine with the latest drivers.

There is a known issue with the V-Ray VFB when using Nitrous viewports in 3ds Max 2012, which unfortunately is for Autodesk to fix. The lag can be reduced if you turn off the Nitrous progressive refinement option.

Best regards,
    Vldao
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I am on 3dsMax 2011.
      I think there is no such known problem for 2011 - right ?
      www.alfasmyrna.com

Comment

Correct; this particular problem is not 2011. I seem to rememeber that it mattered if Aero was on or off (but I can't remember which one was recommended), even for max 2011.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

I turned off aero.
          Should I turn on?

I have strange problems in viewport, lags or freezes. And some windows like material editor or vfb becomimg like ghosts too.

Can you think of anything I can make ?
          www.alfasmyrna.com

Comment

There's a big thread about this in the Cgtalk forums past week or two. This is from memory, but apparently the 580s and 590s are really 2 video cards sort of joined together and they seem to cause a lot of problems for CUDA and opencl applications. At least, that's what I got out of it between renders. I have a 570 and it doesn't run well at all under RT but when I use processors it's almost instant.

One thing that helped me a lot was uninstalling all the extra crap NVIDIA includes in the drivers like anything to do with stereo 3d or sound.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the notice. I will try to find this thread and will read but I am very dumb about hardware. Hope I will understand.
              www.alfasmyrna.com

Comment

Originally posted by Deflaminis View Post
                ...apparently the 580s and 590s are really 2 video cards sort of joined together
                Just a quick clarification: The above is true for the 590, but not the 580. The 3GB 580 is, from what I'm seeing, an excellent bang-for-the-buck RT/GPU renderer right now.

Also, the 290.36 drivers are working excellently with the latest RT code, which actually is faster than ever, around 17% faster than the last RT release. Note that you need those 290.36 drivers.

-Alan

Comment

Actually I gave up about RT - my main concern is to be able to work on max v iewport without any problems.
                  www.alfasmyrna.com

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Iglesias View Post
                    Just a quick clarification: The above is true for the 590, but not the 580.
                    -Alan
                    Thanks for the clarification... my mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by pixela View Post
                      Actually I gave up about RT - my main concern is to be able to work on max v iewport without any problems.
                      You can adjust the RT settings (bundle size/rays per pixel) to control the interactivity. F.e. reducing the # of rays per pixel will make the system more responsive. Another solution is to get a second GPU for rendering. F.e. my laptop has an Intel card which is used for the viewports and the Windows UI, and an nVidia GPU which I can use for rendering. There is also the CPU version of the RT.

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

Working...
                      X