Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray files version

Hi,

Something really annoying while deploying vray, updates, nightlies etc is that all Vray files (vrayrtspawner.exe, vray.exe etc) have all the same version number whatever version they are.
    Being 2.0, 2.10, 2.20 vrayrtspawner.exe is 1.9.1.3 and vray.exe is 1.0.0.1, dlls are 1.90.1.0, etc
    When deploying updates I try to allways refer to file version. While developing, this should be automatic in any development environement.

Another problem is that when installing vray, it decompress files to different directory, and then the files are dated from installation time. So it's hard to deploy vray based on file date to know which version is actually installed, so if it needs an update or not.

Seems the only robust way is to parse the C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\3dsmax 2012 for x64\uninstall\vrender_adv_max2012_x64_install.xml and get the following tags :
    <Fullname>V-Ray for 3dsmax 2012 for x64</Fullname>
    <MajorVersion>2</MajorVersion>
    <MinorVersion>10</MinorVersion>
    <MinestVersion>01</MinestVersion>

Just to share something boring

Thanks the pointer; I regularly forget to update these... a problem with doing this automatically as part of the build system is that when the files are built, it is not yet clear what product installation they will be a part of eventually (f.e. vray.exe is included as part of several different installations, each of which has slightly different version numbers). They could be rebuilt from scratch each time with the correct version number, but this of course takes its time.

Technically, the build time for each .exe/.dll is stored in it by the linker and the information can be extracted with tools like dumpbin, through it might be more complicated to extract it automatically.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
    X