Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Render subset

Heya

I remember there was topica bout it here but I could not find it. In any case are there any plans on implementing render subset material/mesh based in any future maybe ?
    CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

There are plans for this, although the point is somewhat lost on me (except for when you want to re-render just one object or material). Other than that, you can get similar result using the object select or material select elements.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hay

Yup thats the main reason for subset. Just to cut down on render times and get re-rendered the parts I need.

In any case where can I find that object select/material selec elements? I dont think I saw it b4, or I did and didnt realise :s

Comment

Hi Vlado,

Glad I have access here at last! I'm somewhat known as being a huge advocate of Mental Ray and I've been using it exclusively for the last 6 years or so, but I've recently been using VRay more and more and find myself considering moving to it permanently. But there's just one feature missing....!

I would like to make another firm request to you to add your own equivalent of Render Subset of Scene. The point is that it's extremely useful not just for re-rendering single objects (if a client decides to change the material on a sofa, for example, or to make a lamp base chrome instead of bronze, for example), but even in rendering whole areas of an image. A good example might be a shot of a building from outside looking in. You might need much higher rendering settings to resolve detail in the foreground but you could drop the detail a lot in the interior to save time. Using RSoS you can simply render the exterior and interior independently of one-another to achieve this. It's also a great way to automatically get channels/masks for parts of an image.

But, the main use is for changing single or small groups of objects. I get this all the time from clients - "make this cushion brown weave instead of silk", "make this leather sofa white instead of black". In these cases it's often not necessary to render anything apart from those actual objects since the change in material would have no noticeable effect on the surrounding area, so re-rendering more than just the object would be a waste of time. RSoS works so well in these cases.

It's also extremely useful for re-rendering certain single objects that might need extra detail or that have artifacts, for example you could render your whole scene quickly with medium settings and get on with post-production while you re-render only the glossy elements at much higher quality in the background and drop it in when finished. There are other ways to achieve this but RSoS is probably the quickest and simplest.

Your Object Select Element isn't really up to snuff because it requires you to re-render the entire scene first and simply get a cut-out of your selected objects. What we need is a true RSoS implementation that allows you to render either:

1) full Indirect Illumination then render the selected objects/materials
        2) only selected Indirect Illumination then render the selected objects

Both are important and useful in their own rights. If you can somehow incorporate groups and selection sets into this that would be fantastic, or Object ID is fine, although clunky. Mental Ray's implementation of this is almost perfect, I must say - it just needs group support. (Yes, groups are the devil but sometimes we get lazy!).

So, there are a few reasons why I and many other people love RSoS and would love to see it in VRay. I hope that encourages you to consider implementing it sooner rather than later.

Best,
        Alex York
        Founder of Atelier York - Bespoke Architectural Visualisation
        www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Well, it was already on the "to do" list

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Excellent news
            Alex York
            www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

thanks for the explanation Alex, sounds very interesting
              www.peterguthrie.net
              www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
              www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

Originally posted by peterguthrie View Post
                thanks for the explanation Alex, sounds very interesting
                Hello mate Yep it's a real timesaver. Looking forward to it popping up in vRay
                Alex York
                www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

+1 !
                  As said Alex, it will be very useful for all those reasons.
                  Thx
                  (Sorry for my bad english)

Comment

Vlado I don't suppose there's a rough ETA on this? Had a classic moment this afternoon where a client needed me to change the material on a whole load of small objects all over a scene, so RSOS would have been a 3-click solution and done, go home, have a glass of wine, but I ended up having to spend about half an hour setting up alpha contributions and tweaking various other things to get it to work. This really is going to be a massive timesaver when it's available. Any ideas?

Thanks!
                    Alex York
                    www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Wow I'm glad this will be implemented! ETA for Maya ? =D

Comment

I would like to have this as well. But I use the Vray object properties for this now. It takes a little bit longer, but not much.

Mike
                        http://mikebracken.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Comment

Heya

Up on this request...but for Maya side lold.

mmikee care to elaborate? U just make other object black or so or ?

Thanks, bye.

Comment

So did this get added in to vray 3? just curious.... not able to test vray3 yet due to a deadline
                            www.peterguthrie.net
                            www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
                            www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

Yea its in V3 max version...

Comment

Working...
                              X