Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay access through MaxScript

Hi,

I'm experimenting a little with MaxScript lately and would like to know how I can find out the available properties of all VRay elements, like how to access the parameters of the VRay material from MaxScript. If I am to use the Showproperties command, how do I know the names of the VRay elements? You can guess I'm a complete MaxScript beginner, but I'd like to give it a shot in order to automate some VRay stuff.

Cheers,

Metin
    Sevensheaven.nl — design | illustration | visualization | cartoons | animation

Probably the easiest way is to open the MAXscript Listener (in the Maxscript menu or "f11" ). Then just adjust the settings in a material, you will see the corresponding settings ecchoed in the top of the listener.
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

Useful tip, thanks! At the moment I have to wait for a VRay render to finish before I can try anyhting though. I suspect I've created the ultimate VRay benchmark scene. The image has been rendering for about 24 hours now, and I expect it to last another 24 hours before it's finished! It involves nearly any VRay feature: refraction, glossy reflections, caustics, GI (Irradiance plus Photons), HDRI, the works!

Cheers,

Metin

Comment

doesn't sound like a scene I want any part of...lol

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

for the renderer use this tip:
          http://www.chaoticdimension.com/foru...pic.php?t=3616

for the mtl better use the listener.

i wrote a mtl converter some time ago and found out that the syntax for the mapchannels is bit different than the max mtl but always the same:

b.texmap_diffuse_on = a.diffusemapEnable
          b.texmap_diffuse_multiplier = a.diffusemapAmount
          if a.diffuseMap != undefined then b.texmap_diffuse = a.diffusemap

where b = vray and a = max

...but you can see, that vlado uses "_on" instead "Enable" or "_multiplier" instead "Amount".
          The names for the maps start also with "texmap_TYPE" instead "TYPEmap"
          www.cgtechniques.com | http://www.hdrlabs.com - home of hdri knowledge

Comment

Hey thanks Dschaga and Plastic!

I think Vlado's "on" is much more convenient than something like "enable". Having to type more than necessary while programming means valuable time wasted.

About the heavy scene: this morning I discovered that the GI and caustics made the content a bit too bright, so I had to start it over again today. Guess the image will be finished by monday morning or so.

Cheers,

Metin

Comment

Working...
            X