Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM limit for 20 ani proxies 1.5GB each

Hi all

I have a scene with about 20 animated over 400 frame proxies, each instanced about 4 to 5 times, and each about 1.5GB each. Is there some kind of formula or something so I know beforehand if max/vray will crash during my render? My slaves have between 6GB and 16GB RAM

What I'm really asking is, do I need 20X1.5GB Ram to be able to render the scene?
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

nobody have an answer?
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

Since the proxies are animated, V-Ray won't really load the entire animation into memory - just the frames that it needs. So it won't be 20 x 1.5, but it's difficult to say what will be the final number. It would be best to do a few tests and note the memory usage.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

So just out of curiosity if you've offset some of the frames of instanced proxies; Vray has to load the proxy into memory again at the correct frame number?

So if you had a 10mb (when loaded to ram) animated proxy and you had 2 instances of it at different frames; you'd end up with 20mb of ram usage because it has to load it twice on separate frames?
        Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

Nobody know?

www.robertslimbrick.com

Comment

in my case I rendered the animation as mentioned above on a different setup. Old quadcore 9550 Intel with 8GB Ram. I didn't check the ram usage during render, but it rendered perfect and a frame took average 30min at 720p. (unfortunately I can't post a screenshot of it YET)
            Kind Regards,
            Morne

Comment

Originally posted by Macker View Post
              So if you had a 10mb (when loaded to ram) animated proxy and you had 2 instances of it at different frames; you'd end up with 20mb of ram usage because it has to load it twice on separate frames?
              Yes, no way around that I'm afraid.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Damn, what a shame. So I guess even with the likes of multiscatter/forest pack you'd likely run into RAM issues.

www.robertslimbrick.com

Comment

Working...
                X