Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does VRay's lighting use the laws of Quantum Mechanics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does VRay's lighting use the laws of Quantum Mechanics?

I have been doing a series of tests with VRay over the past few days and have been very puzzled with the outcomes.

I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with the photon and the two slits test where you have a square with two slits cut in it, and a stream of photon is shot at the right slit. What you see is a pattern of faded bars that shows that the photons are going through the left slit even though a single photon beam is shot through the right slit.

This scientific law has been giving me a TON of trouble in VRay because I cannot for the life of me get it to recreate the effect for me without "cheating".

When I create a box with a beam of light shot at a square with the two slits, I only get one lit up white bar, where I should see a lot of white bars with gradients in between them.

If anyone has any thoughts, comments, or can help on this, feel free

Best Regards,

Andrew

Andrew,
    I think you're about 5 years ahead of current technology! IF not more. Effects like that are going to have to be faked until there is a widespread reason to have a feature like that. Remember, Vray is a RayTracer, not a PhotonTracer. The trend in rendering technology seems to mimic real world physics as time goes by, so I'm sure eventually we'll get there.

John Pruden
    Digital-X
    John Pruden
    Digital-X

www.digitalxmodels.com
    3D Model Marketplace

Comment

Hi the effect you discribe would mean, Vray should use for rendering the real real complex mathematical theory´s of "Quantenmechanic".I am not sure this effect will ever be brought into renderers. they are made to mimic physical effects but the one you discribe is is very very rare in usual live. only interisting for philosophy, and physik (that realy )but not for usual live people. the mathematics behind photon mapping is rather such simple thing as newtons mechanics.

tom

Comment

why the heck u need to do something like that?? .....quantum mechanics????..........are u tryin to prove thomas young's famous double slit defraction experiment he did 100 years ago???

Comment

I am trying to see if VRay is capable of this fundamental quantum mechanics experiment so that I may conduct more advanced ones.

I guess I was simply misled by the name of "Photon Map"...

It is a shame that it sounds like things like this will never be implemented because I would think that in order to get the most realistic advanced lighting imaginable, one would have to use all the laws light retains in wave and photon form on a microscopic level according to quantum mechanics...

Best Regards,

Andrew

Comment

I imagine that one day it would be implemented, but the current state of technology still has to work hard to bounce light in a straight line. It is not hard to imagine photons traveling in waves, also not hard to imagine what that would do to the computations... Intel's roadmap puts the Pentium or whatever it is called in 10 years at around 20ghz, I think your experiments have a good chance of happening between now and then.
            Eric Boer
            Dev

Comment

nice. I was wondering the same, so a while a go I tryed the experiment whith the stripes in the wall and one photon... with no luck. I guess it´s hard to be on only one place at a time in the same computer or whatever.

/Daniel
              Daniel Westlund

Comment

Roppin - Indeed... However the many places it's in "at once" are based on a wave that flows with the probability laws of quantum mechanics. So I guess the complication arises in the unimaginable amount of particle collisions required and calculating where each particle in the wave SHOULD in fact really go...

Comment

U should look at WinOSI http://www.winosi.onlinehome.de/
                  it might be what u looking for !

fred

Comment

I tried this winosi once, or twice, but I had just no patience to wait until its done. Intresting topic.
                    check out this really nice stuff:
                    http://www.winosi.onlinehome.de/Prism.htm

Comment

Thanks fredc, this is very interesting but i think even WinOSI would'nt render the photon slit correctly. (It's accurate but still noton a quantum basis )

Comment

sorry.. but I think it is obvious that no (artistic) renderer covers
                        "quantum mechanics"
                        IMO a renderer like this wouldn´t make sence at all for an artist.
                        (And renderers are written for artists in most cases)
                        We are allready rendering photorealistic results.
                        Maybe we could think of such things in 10 years... when we are rendering
                        a 4k solution in realtime ... and there is nothing else to explorer left.

Comment

yup i guess it's for reach this kind of detail :

the piece :

then the detail :

no??

Comment

Andrew,
                            ask the ppl at integra ... they have a nice software to simulate nearly everything.

http://www.integra.jp/eng/whitepapers/index.htm
                            www.cgtechniques.com | http://www.hdrlabs.com - home of hdri knowledge

Comment

Working...
                            X