• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any info on this yet ?

Regards,
    Mike
    http://mikebracken.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Comment

I too am awaiting an answer to this question. ??

Comment

Any further news on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
        Tracy Ostby
        CAD Systems Administrator
        Marvin Windows and Doors
        Warroad, Minnesota 56763
        tostby@marvin.com

Comment

Unfortunately for the moment we still can not provide a time range for this build release.
          Best regards,
          Zdravko Keremidchiev
          Technical Support Representative

Comment

Just for those who aren't aware, it's not a simple case of opening the old source code, changing the libraries and re-compiling for max2013 as it might be for other versions of max. 3dsmax 2013 is now fully Unicode which makes a fair bit of work for developers to re-compile their plugins for it. The fact that VRay continue to offer versions of 1.5 is superb service, but if you're so concerned with using the latest 3dsmax, why not use the latest VRay too?
            Maxscript made easy....
            davewortley.wordpress.com
            Follow me here:
            facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_Wortley View Post
              ........ but if you're so concerned with using the latest 3dsmax, why not use the latest VRay too?
              Because Max is imperfect, so we need many times upgrade.
              But V-Ray 1.5 is almost perfect, so we don't need the latest version.

Actually, it's due to Max subscription policy.
              :: twitter :: Portfolio :: My 3D Products :: ...and ::

Comment

Originally posted by sandykoufax View Post
                Because Max is imperfect, so we need many times upgrade.
                But V-Ray 1.5 is almost perfect, so we don't need the latest version.

Actually, it's due to Max subscription policy.
                I think Max was at it's best in Max 2009, VRay gets better every release.
                Maxscript made easy....
                davewortley.wordpress.com
                Follow me here:
                facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

While I understand the demand for VRay 1.5 I think I'd rather see ChaosGroup invest their precious time in further development of the latest versions. At some point they have to stop supporting older versions anyway. Especially with so many changes taking place in the core of 3ds Max, like Dave said. I understand the implications these changes have.

Having said that... I'm still on VRay 1.5 also and would not mind seeing a Max 2013 version! As mentioned by Sandykoufax: it's almost perfect for what I use it for currently.

Still though, I am most definitely going to upgrade to VRay 2 very soon, or maybe VRay 3 directly next year (not sure yet), because, amongst many other things, I want to make the most of Ornatrix, which I recently purchased! What would be the most cost effective upgrade path anyway?? 1.5 > 2 > 3 or 1.5 > 3?

Comment

It is too early to say which is the most effective way to upgrade to 3.0 . Surely we will allow upgrades from both 1.5 and 2.0 and probably we will apply price differentiation depending of the version you are upgrading from.
                    Unfortunately we can't provide more details at this stage.
                    Best regards,
                    Zdravko Keremidchiev

Comment

So what is the price for an upgrade from 1.5 to 2 ?

Regards,
                      mike
                      http://mikebracken.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Comment

400 EUR / 550 USD / 340 GBP
                        Please note: prices do not include dongle/VAT/shipping
                        This information is also available on our website: http://chaosgroup.com/en/2/vray.html
                        Best regards,
                        Zdravko Keremidchiev

Comment

Originally posted by Zdravko View Post
                          It is too early to say which is the most effective way to upgrade to 3.0 . Surely we will allow upgrades from both 1.5 and 2.0 and probably we will apply price differentiation depending of the version you are upgrading from.
                          Unfortunately we can't provide more details at this stage.
                          Thanks Zdravko, I fully understand. It was not a fair question to ask at this point. I'm sorry.

I think I'm going to update to v2 soon anyway because I don't think I can wait until v3 is rolling out. Especially since no due date is known as of yet.

Comment

So, we cannot see 1.5 for max 2013 forever.

Comment

Originally posted by sandykoufax View Post
                              So, we cannot see 1.5 for max 2013 forever.
                              <shrug> Autodesk chose a very inconvenient time for us to entirely break the 3ds Max SDK and it's something that we could not predict. We are working on the 1.5 port bit by bit, but I have to make choices - do we focus on the 1.5 port, which will ultimately be forgotten in a year or two, or do we focus on improving performance and implementing new features.

Best regards,
                              Vlado
                              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I understand the situation.
                                I have to make a choice too in near future - Upgrade or Drop.
                                Currently, I'm using Max 2013 and 2012 under subscription contract.
                                My subscription is expired at April 2013. But I will not renew it anymore.
                                So I have to use only 2013 after next april.
                                Actually, I'm so satisfied with 1.5.

Comment

Working...
                                X