fisheye cam - help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fisheye cam - help please

i don´t understand the fisheye settings in the cam rollout. actually i don´t see anything, just a hole. regardless what settings i use. please...can someone explain that "fisheye thing" to me ?!???

What are you trying to accomplish? A little more info and I could help you out some more.

As for the "fisheye thing" it's just like adding a fisheye lens to a regular camera. It captures all 180 (actually 183) degrees in your scene.

Here at the planetarium in Chicago we are using it to create images for our dome.

Matt

Comment

fisheye settings

hi metroberlin,

i know the reason for your problem:
      max's units

the fisheye in vray is rendered using a 1 unit fully reflective sphere at the position of the camera
      if you place the camera closer than one unit to an object, you'll see a hole in it (because the sphere reflecting the scene is intersecting it and showing the background - which is visible in the the alpha channel)

so set the system unis as small as you can (i use 1cm)
      that way you can move the cam closer to objects

there are some other (unanswered and unfixed) bugs associated with fisheye cams in vray

most importantly dof wont work - since its all just the scene being reflected by an object the dof would have to be computed through the reflection (blurring the reflection based on the distance of objects to the sphere)

another thing is that 180° and 360° fov wont work - i guess the formula used for calculation is coming close to a divide by zero or some other unsolvable equation at that points (170° is still usable)

the other settings mainly change the amount of space the fisheye view occupies in your render

hope this helps - i had to find it out the hard way.

greetings from berlin,

mike

ps: guess you have already recognized that fisheye cam renders are rotated 180°

Comment

thanks for the infos. yes, the units was the key. i always was too close to the object.

Comment

Wow didn't know it was just a 100% reflective sphere. Well if this is the case and there are problems with it...

Why not just recreate a true fisheye with refraction?

--Jon

Comment

Working...
          X