PLastic Refractive shader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLastic Refractive shader?

Hey guys, am trying to achieve this plastic seringe shader, the model is complete with thickness and all. The problem am having is when i make this refractive it looks like glass, which of course makes sense, but in this type plastic where ever the model has a 45 degree angle it tends to be glossier and less refractive, almost milky. SO when i make this refractive am not getting that on those angles am getting a real crisp refraction. So i was wondering if you have guys have tryed a shader like this before and how would you achieve it? Its almost like am missing a highlight glosiness spinner in the refractive section. the image below is what am trying to achieve. Thanks in advanced!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0634.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	488.2 KB
ID:	876413
    PLAY
    www.kriscabrera.com
    kris@kriscabrera.com

couple of things I would try. The surface thickness in this syringe in the image appears to be very very thin. Make sure your model reflects that. Thick walls will give you strong refraction. More then that, you should find out the ior of the plastic in this syringe. Lastly, the surface appears to be not 100% refractive, you can see through but not all the way, so I would use less refraction value, and blend it with the diffuse value of whiter material. Regarding the glossy value of the refraction, you could of course use angle based glossiness, like drive glossy amount by fresnel texture for example, though I do not think is a proper way to go. Typically the surface is a constant glossy value (in refraction) and the difference in glossy is not angle based, what creates effect of glossiness is other elements over the refractive surface, like smudges, dirt etc.
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Here were am at so far but it still seems a bit to glassy to me. The model is actually the STL that was used for the phtsical model so everything is exact to the physical one. i showed you the wrong one in the previous post. So here is the right one, and then also a render of were am at. Am trying to achieve that milkyness it gets on the edges.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0635.jpg
Size:	528.4 KB
ID:	845676Click image for larger version

Name:	plastic_look.jpg
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	845677
      PLAY
      www.kriscabrera.com
      kris@kriscabrera.com

Comment

You might have better luck leaving the refraction at pure white, and adding some Fog. It will behave more like the real thing, where it will gain density where thicker, or on the edges where you are seeing through wider sections of the material.

Make the fog a slight grey value and play with the amount.

You also need to add a slight glossy value to your refractions. Very slight should do it, maybe .95-.98, but you will need to test. Make sure to raise the sub-d's of the refraction gloss above default or it will be quite noisy (maybe start around 32, but I often go up to 100 or more). Same for reflection in this case too. A slight bump would take care of the reflection though.

Mapping that glossiness would be necessary to truly match the shot, but you should get pretty close.

b
        Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
        e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

This looks like pure sss to me, there is a lot of it there actually.
          Dmitry Vinnik
          Silhouette Images Inc.
          ShowReel:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
          https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

You could certainly do it that way, but I don't think SSS is necessary to achieve the look, and I think it adds a lot of complexity for someone who is not that familiar with Vray materials

b
            Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
            e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

Working...
            X