Brute force or Irrmap for exterior animation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brute force or Irrmap for exterior animation

Hi all, I'm looking for guidance for rendering a walkthrough. I'm curious what you all use for exterior animation?

I tried with Irrmap initially but realized flickering happened at some of the tree in background. Switching to Brute force give me similar time to Irrmap with better details, but to avoid the noise generated either bounces or AA has to be increased, mean longer render time.

For some scene with lots of flat surface where details only happen in 1/3 portion of the full frame, brute force take drastically too long compared to Irrmap. E.g. 10mins Irrmap vs 40mins Brute Force.

Any tips on how to get a balance of these two? Is brute force really useless for most of the cases when we need to keep render time well in control?
    i7 2600k (OC), 16GB RAM, Geforce GTX560Ti, Win7pro, 3dsmax 2012

do you have any moving objects or just camera?

Comment

I use IM+LC (use camera path) for my animation (with a lot of trees, grass, tiny details) without moving obj.
      The important is the AA = 1 16 or 2 16 with Quadratic filter. DMC sampler by default.
      Rendertimes with esacore in 720p is about 40-50 min.
      10 min is impossible IMO if you don't want flickering in the foliage.
      Last edited by cecofuli; 10-08-2012, 04:20 AM.
      www.francescolegrenzi.com

VRay - THE COMPLETE GUIDE - The book
      Corona - THE COMPLETE GUIDE - The book

--- FACEBOOK ---

Comment

Originally posted by chriserskine View Post
        do you have any moving objects or just camera?
        Just camera, animated objects are rendered in different pass.

Comment

Originally posted by cecofuli View Post
          I use IM+LC (use camera path) for my animation (with a lot of trees, grass, tiny details) without moving obj.
          The important is the AA = 1 16 or 2 16 with Quadratic filter. DMC sampler by default.
          Hey, your animation is pretty cool! A lot of details and foliage, amazingly smooth to me.. you can see our previous animation (https://vimeo.com/15185873) has a lot of noise, this time we gonna render without noise but deadline is approaching, sigh....

Let me tried out your settings. Anyway, could that be my Irrmap setting not high enough as I was setting it at -3/-1, tomorrow I'm going to test with -3/0 together with your setting.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by cecofuli View Post
            Why not AA of 1-100 and control it by noise threshold in this case? I see that that is sometimes faster with many details.
            Maya 2020/2022
            Win 10x64
            Vray 5

Comment

Hi Francesco, i would like to ask about your settings.

1 - Did you use animation prepass/rendering method or multiframe incremental?
              2 - Did you turn on Clamp and subpixel in color mapping?
              3 - Light shadows subd?
              4 - Did you use Lc for glossy reflections?
              5 - Irr settings? preset?
              6 - If i Use camera path on irr map, this kill my times

Many thanks in advance, would be really helpfull for me if you could help me with this doubts.

Regards
              DMR Digital Visualizations
              www.dmrdesigns.com.ar

Comment

Working...
              X