No announcement yet.

Plane that is invisible to the camera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plane that is invisible to the camera?

I'm trying to make a "flag" to go between a light source and a small part of the product in order to "knock down" a particular hot area. The issue of course, is that the plane renders visible and obscures the product. How do I make it invisible to the camera, yet retain it's light blocking properties? To go one further, how do I control the opacity of the flag as to let more/less light through it as needed?

Thanks!
    David Anderson
    www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
    Windows 10 Pro
    3ds Max 2023.3 Update
    V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
    Puget Systems
    TRX40 EATX
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core 3.69GHz
    2X NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
    128GB RAM

Found the answer. Pretty obvious but I did't see it at first! Right-Click the object and select "Object Properties" (not V-Ray Properties). Find "Visible to Camera" and uncheck it.

HoweverWhat's the easiest way to adjust opacity? You can certainly adjust the material, but if you have several flags, each needing their own opacity level, how would you go about it? Perhaps tweaking the "Visibility" level in Object Properties?
    David Anderson
    www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
    Windows 10 Pro
    3ds Max 2023.3 Update
    V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
    Puget Systems
    TRX40 EATX
    128GB RAM

Comment

I don't know if the Visibility setting will affect shadow casting. Can't you just adjust the refraction level of the material applied to the cards?

Comment

Originally posted by davision View Post
        Can't you just adjust the refraction level of the material applied to the cards?
        Yes, that's exactly what I've been doing, but if I have 3-4 cards in a scene, that would effect them all. So for now, I'll just duplicate the materials I guess. Not that huge of a deal. Thanks for your thoughts.
        David Anderson
        www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
        Windows 10 Pro
        3ds Max 2023.3 Update
        V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
        Puget Systems
        TRX40 EATX
        128GB RAM