Distributed Rendering with Max 2011 and 2013 installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributed Rendering with Max 2011 and 2013 installed

Is it possible to have spawners for two version of max running simultaneously?

We are transitioning between versions and it would be handy if we could have both spawners open and able to receive DR jobs. I have tried but slaves try to render jobs from 2013 using the 2011 spawner.

I'm sure this is a long standing known behaviour but thought I'd ask!

Cheers,
    Olly
    Set V-Ray class properties en masse with the VMC script
    Follow me for script updates: @ollyspolys

If using Vray 2.2 or 2.3 (can't remember when it came in) you should be able to change the Ports for DR...
    Maxscript made easy....
    davewortley.wordpress.com
    Follow me here:
    facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

Thanks for that Dave, sounds perfect. Any idea where that setting may be hiding or is it scriptable?

Comment

Originally posted by olly View Post
        Thanks for that Dave, sounds perfect. Any idea where that setting may be hiding or is it scriptable?
        I think you set it on install of each version for VRay? Can't remember....
        Maxscript made easy....
        davewortley.wordpress.com
        Follow me here:
        facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

Olly, what Dave means is the license port settings which you can change by going to the Start menu > All Programs > Chaos Group > V-Ray Adv for 3ds Max > Licensing > Administration > Change V-Ray client license settings. That opens a new program window in which you can change the port of the license server. You would need to do this on both the workstation license server (where the dongle is) and the render nodes.

I'm not 100% sure though, is that the only port a render node uses? Does it also communicate data transfer over that port or only license exchange data? Maybe there's more to this. I have never actually used multiple versions of 3ds Max + VRay at the same time on render nodes. I hope someone from Chaos Group will chime in here and give you the definitive answer on that

Comment

Originally posted by olly View Post
            Is it possible to have spawners for two version of max running simultaneously?
            Not right now. However you can just run the 2013 spawner, it will be able to handle 2011 jobs too. Newer versions of V-Ray will allow to change the DR port.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Yes, we discovered this by accident. Works perfectly.

Comment

Working...
              X