switching from fR, some questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• switching from fR, some questions...

Hi there! I recently switched from finalRender to Vray. Although I know that I won't find all the features I am used to, I would like throw a bunch of questions at you to find out how to deal with some things:

1. Can I somehow remove specific objects from specific reflections? Classic situation: I want to see my lightplanes in the reflections of a product (for example) but not in the reflections of the floor.
    2. Is there an easy way to get reflections in matte objects? like this: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12432599/fr_matte2.jpg - I saw a tutorial using that extratex re, but that is far from beeing handy...
    3. How to Exclude objects from AmbientOcclusion? I often need to have objects to not "Cast" AmbientOcclusion
    4. I see one can have RenderElements with an override Texture (extratex) but is there an Element to override with an Material?
    5. In fR I can clip objects from RenderElements. That means I can see one object in the beauty pass but can remove that object from an RenderElement and see another object BEHIND. WHich is super awesome As I see no function like that this is more ore less a feature request for a future version

Sorry for the amount of questions but I need to get things up and running

Greetings,
    Daniel

Originally posted by DanielWichterich View Post
    1. Can I somehow remove specific objects from specific reflections? Classic situation: I want to see my lightplanes in the reflections of a product (for example) but not in the reflections of the floor.
    For the moment, you can't. It's a feature that is requested often though, and it will be implemented.

2. Is there an easy way to get reflections in matte objects? like this: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12432599/fr_matte2.jpg - I saw a tutorial using that extratex re, but that is far from beeing handy...
    There is in V-Ray for Maya, but we need to port this to the 3ds Max version. Right now, you can get reflections on matte objects, but they will not be included in the alpha channel.

3. How to Exclude objects from AmbientOcclusion? I often need to have objects to not "Cast" AmbientOcclusion
    You can use the include/exlude lists in the VRayDirt texture, if this is what you mean.

4. I see one can have RenderElements with an override Texture (extratex) but is there an Element to override with an Material?
    No. There are currently no plans to implement this.

5. In fR I can clip objects from RenderElements. That means I can see one object in the beauty pass but can remove that object from an RenderElement and see another object BEHIND. WHich is super awesome As I see no function like that this is more ore less a feature request for a future version
    There is no way to do this at the moment, but it has been requested and it will be implemented (although I'm somewhat foggy as to what the antialiasing will be based on in this case).

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Sounds promising! Will those be features for vray 3?

In what form are you planing to include that reflection exclusion? Per Material?

Greetings,
      Daniel

Comment

5. In fR I can clip objects from RenderElements. That means I can see one object in the beauty pass but can remove that object from an RenderElement and see another object BEHIND. WHich is super awesome
        That sounds like an incredible feature; how on earth did they impliment that?
        Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

fR RenderElements are incredibly flexible. i got used to never have to render a second pass - i could include everything i wanted to my beauty render which makes file management really simple. i hope vray will catch up

Comment

jepp thats a really cool feature in fR...

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
              There is in V-Ray for Maya, but we need to port this to the 3ds Max version. Right now, you can get reflections on matte objects, but they will not be included in the alpha channel.
              Best regards,
              Vlado
              It is with the Vray dirt in Maya ? Or we have an "affect all channel" in the reflection of VrayMtl in Maya ?
              www.deex.info

Comment

There is a material override in Global Switches. You have the render it in a separate pass however.
                Jeff Adams - Freelance Architectural Illustrator
                http://www.jamodeler.com/freelance/

Comment

Working...
                X