Multiple Vray displacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Vray displacement

Is it possible to have multiple vray displacement modifiers on the same object (with different texture channel)?

I tried but it seem to use only the first displace in the stack.

At present, you can only have one modifier. If you need to combine the effect of several displacement maps, you can do so with masks in the displacement map itself.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Sure, the only problem is that due to the fact the displacement modifier can use just one map channel, also in the map I can use only one map channel (this is a big problem if you want to combine a very large displacement with a very lilttle one, because you have to increase very very much the '2D Mapping resolution', causing lack of memory).

Comment

Yes it would be cool to use for example one map for big mountains and a second one for the rock surface detail, with different displacement amounts.

flipside
        Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

"At present, you can only have one modifier"

would it be possible in the next release perhaps?

Comment

WOW... I have never..ever .. seen a 3 1/2 year old post brought back from the dead.

Well done

Now days, you are able to specifiy the the displacement map in the vray material and choose "use object material" in the displacement modifier.
            So with the use of say Multi sub object you are able to have multiple displacements per object using different UVW mapping.

Comment

well I did my best

I couldn't find any positive posts about multiple vray displacements so I had to make do with this one.

Thanks for the help. This is really nice.
              Just a shame you can't do it with 2d mapping, 3d is soooo slow.

Comment

With multi sub objects you have different displacement in different areas of the object, but not different displacements on the same part of the object. For example a noise map with displacement amount 500 and another noise map with smaller noise and displacement 2 or something. You can of course mix the two maps together and play with the mix amount to get the result you want.
                Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

"With multi sub objects you have different displacement in different areas of the object."

which is exactly what I was after

thanks for the the thorough explanation of the other option.

Comment

Comment

Would be nice, if displacement render mesh can be extracted as a mesh object. That would bee cool in ram hungry cases.
                      I just can't seem to trust myself
                      So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
                      ---------------------------------------------------------
                      CG Artist

Comment

Yeah given its a rendertime operation tho. I could be a little tricky. And VERY high poly (obviously depending on the displacement map)

But yeah would be neat, has been requested many times before. Often the answer is just to use turbosmooth and max displacement.

Comment

I think it is simple, as vlado is a VRay-wizard
                          I'm sure it can be extracted in two simple mouse clicks!!!

OK

Maybe three!

mmm

Maybe four

P.S. Anyway, we don't need to wait till "preparing instances" over.

As there's lot's of animation at ILM we produce.

*kiddin'*

I just can't seem to trust myself
                          So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
                          ---------------------------------------------------------
                          CG Artist

Comment

hahah a wiz he is

Well it has been requested ALOT before.
                            And its still not implemented so its either not possible or not feasable.

Still we can hope

Comment

Originally posted by DaForce
                              hahah a wiz he is
                              He really is a whiz of a Wiz! If ever a Wiz of a Wiz there was, Vlado is one because, because, because... Because of the wonderful things he does.

I'm sorry, what was the subject of this thread again

Comment

Working...
                              X